Display will not work anymore due to virus on pendrive

Mar 26, 2018
Hello there, just recently, my display monitor on my Dell Inspiron 1525 would not work anymore. I was just plugging in my regular USB on it, and opened up the pendrive shortcut (I knew it was a virus, but didn't care less about it at the time) and when I clicked on a file, my display went off, when I tried to restart the laptop, it could not work.

But upon further examination, I found out that the LCD panels were still working and showing graphics (after I shone a flashlight at the monitor), but the backlight wont work, I plugged this in an external monitor and the graphics were still fine, so I ruled it out as a videocard problem. I was thinking a virus could have changed the system files and disabled the backlight of my laptop. Thanks.

Solution
Is the screen dim even in the BIOS loading screen?

This does not sound like it was caused by a virus, sounds like your screen just went out. If the BIOS screen is fine, and
you know that USB stick has a virus, time to do a clean Windows setup on the system, that will cure any Windows issues you may have.

Albrett

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
Can you see a logo when the laptop starts up (or get into the BIOS)? Generally Viruses will run with the operating system. If the BIOS is also dark, it's likely the back-light has simply failed.

Mar 26, 2018
I can get into the BIOS and even run it on Safe Mode, but while examining the USB, I came across this desktop config file in the USB, I wonder if it has any sort of relevance...
[.ShellClassInfo]

IconResource=%systemroot%\system32\SHELL32.dll,7

IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll

IconIndex=7

(and one more thing I did not mention: When I intially opened the shortcut, a RunDLL error said something along the lines of "error opening /random set of numbers and letters", and when I unplugged and replugged the USB, and clicked the fle, the laptop went off.)

Is the screen dim even in the BIOS loading screen?

This does not sound like it was caused by a virus, sounds like your screen just went out. If the BIOS screen is fine, and
you know that USB stick has a virus, time to do a clean Windows setup on the system, that will cure any Windows issues you may have.

Solution