Disssambeled Laptop - It doesn't boot anymore!

Fluxify

Estimable
Apr 23, 2014
I am not exactly the smartest with computers, therefore I watched a video on YouTube and now my Dell Inspiron N5040 doesn't boot after disassembling it and cleaning it with Dust Destroyer Compressed Air. I might of missed a couple of screws but I don't think that would matter. I took out the Hard Drive on accident, but I am pretty sure I put it back in place. I also took out the heat-sink, but I am pretty sure I put it back in place.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR0iRYLEO9s

Ijack

Distinguished
Did you use new thermal compound when you replaced the heatsink? I doubt this would stop the computer booting, but it's certainly going to cause problems if you didn't. When you say it doesn't boot do you get any signs of life or is it completely dead?

TBH, it's very difficult to know what you may have done wrong but thinking that you may have missed out a couple of screws doesn't sound very methodical. I can only suggest that you have a very careful look to make sure that you haven't failed to reconnect any wires. If that doesn't help then you are going to have to find a knowledgeable friend or a good computer store to look at it for you.

I'm afraid that laptops can be quite tricky to disassemble/assemble.

Fluxify

Estimable
Apr 23, 2014

I didn't even replace the heat-sink nor use thermal compound. I just took it out and then re-connected it to get the dust out.

Ijack

Distinguished
I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say you "took it out". If you removed it from the processor then you must have replaced it (by that I mean put it back, not replaced it with a new one). And if you did that you should have cleaned off the old thermal compound and put new on.

Anyway, my advice remains the same. I'd strongly suggest that you get a professional to look at it.

Fluxify

Estimable
Apr 23, 2014

I loosened the screws, took the fan out of the laptop and got dust out. I'm not actually sure if I took the heat-sink out.

I don't really want to pay $200 for someone to look at my laptop.