Status
Not open for further replies.

EndlessMidnight

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
Sometimes when I'm about to use the internet it's not working and my computer shows the little yellow triangle in the network section.
Since the turning on and off method almost never works for router/modems I went to the modem's settings to see if anything was wrong and everything seemed fine except for the DNS settings, both primary and secondary DNS server addresses weren't the right ones, I can't remember what number it said except they started with 52. and my default DNS address starts with 200. when I change the DNS back to the default values and reboot my internet works just fine but after a while maybe a few hours or a day it happens all over again I have to change the DNS and reboot again, it's annoying and it shouldn't be happening, since it looks like a virus is doing this I did a scan with my antivirus (I use Avira), a scan with Malwarebytes and I also used Microsoft's Safety Scanner but nothing was detected, what else can I do?

Solution
Doesn't seem like anything on the PC side needs to be fixed or changed. Go into your router and look for the DNS settings and change them to these https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/opendns-ip-addresses/ update the firmware and let it auto reboot. Reboot your computer once the router is finished and see if the issue is fixed, don't use googles 8.8.8.8

eatmypie

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
Doesn't seem like anything on the PC side needs to be fixed or changed. Go into your router and look for the DNS settings and change them to these https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/opendns-ip-addresses/ update the firmware and let it auto reboot. Reboot your computer once the router is finished and see if the issue is fixed, don't use googles 8.8.8.8

Solution

EndlessMidnight

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015

I'll give this a shot but it seems to be a hardware problem, my modem might be failing so I'm calling my internet provider. Thanks for the help.

gundamdud

Estimable
Apr 20, 2014

DId you ever figure out why this was happening. I get this like once a month but i know its not my modem.

EndlessMidnight

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015

I did actually, I ended up calling my internet provider and they said a device connected to the wifi was messing with the DNS settings, turns out it was my sister's phone, she downloads lots of questionable apps and files so her phone was infected.

My internet provider fixed it by blocking access to the modem's settings, I can't change them myself anymore since they blocked it directly from the company but it's been two years and I haven't a single issue with my internet connection since.

lezette1003

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017

L.MORGAN
This happens to me all the time until I downloaded a subscription of Nortons Security. It worked and stopped the yellow triangle from popping up as well. I recently forgot to pay the monthly fee and experienced the issue all over again. But soon as norton security was active again it worked just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.