Do I need a new cable or LCD screen? (Inspiron 1545)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have an old Inspiron 1545 that was sitting on a shelf due to screen troubles. The image would quickly fail, starting with a white bar up top followed by the rest of the screen graying out and becoming unresponsive. Part of the image could be refreshed for a brief instant by impacting the side of the screen, but it would continue to gray out and be unresponsive.

I seemingly fixed the problem by visually checking and reseating the connectors on the video cable. I took out the HDD with Win7 on it and replaced it with a HDD that had Linux Mint 18 already installed. However, after moving the laptop the next day, the problem was back albeit less seriously. Now a light smack or closing/opening the lid fixes the image semi-permanently, allowing normal operation.

I would like to get this laptop in proper working order again. Does the problem lie with the screen or the cable? Is it something else, like a bad graphics chip (requiring a new motherboard)?

Solution
It could be either the screen or the cable. The only way to know is to test it. Also, check the cable for bends, pinches, tears, etc. And make sure it isn't getting caught between anything when the laptop is closed.

If none of this resolves it, then you are probably going to have to replace the screen.
It could be either the screen or the cable. The only way to know is to test it. Also, check the cable for bends, pinches, tears, etc. And make sure it isn't getting caught between anything when the laptop is closed.

If none of this resolves it, then you are probably going to have to replace the screen.

Solution
G

I checked the cable more thoroughly this time, straightening out the bendable section and any creases on the flat sections before putting it back in. The problem appears to be fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.