Paul O Carroll

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014
So in a few weeks, I am gonna start coding my game. I am using c# and am very new to the whole programming thing. I would like to make an online game and have severs. My only problem is how would i set that up. Would I need like a server rack, if so what code do I need to set that up and how do I connect the server to the computer. I am also planning on making a new sorta of social network for IOS aswell. Will this be the same for how i do it. And I can use the same sever. Again I am very knew to it. It would help if you could explain it as simple as possible. Thanks

Solution
Well, first step would be to actually have somekind of working game without the dedicated server.
by googling "server hosting" and possibly your country if you want the server to be in certain country gives you view of the availability and price.
By default, the server you rent will have it's own IP, which you point your game to connect to. Later on, you could pay extra for DNS and thus have it at yourgame.com or something similar which translates to said IP.

However, that is all AFTER you get it to work, the servers cost money each month and while still coding it, easiest bet would be to host the server on your own computer.
(and connect to localhost aka 127.0.0.1) on the client you run on same computer. This would save money on the...

little_me

Estimable
May 9, 2015
Well, first step would be to actually have somekind of working game without the dedicated server.
by googling "server hosting" and possibly your country if you want the server to be in certain country gives you view of the availability and price.
By default, the server you rent will have it's own IP, which you point your game to connect to. Later on, you could pay extra for DNS and thus have it at yourgame.com or something similar which translates to said IP.

However, that is all AFTER you get it to work, the servers cost money each month and while still coding it, easiest bet would be to host the server on your own computer.
(and connect to localhost aka 127.0.0.1) on the client you run on same computer. This would save money on the initial coding phase.

Since usage would be tiny, you could also allow friends to test it by port forwarding the port game client uses to connect to server on your router to your computer allowing friends to connect.

so... to start off, I would heavily suggest not getting a dedicated server right away.

Solution

Paul O Carroll

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014