Do receivers output composite inputs as component?

phurtive

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
I think I may have misunderstood one of the uses of a receiver so if someone can confirm whether or not this does or does not work I would appreciate it. I thought I could plug multiple composite sources like a VCR, SNES, and an early DVD player (composite OUT only) all via composite into a receiver then they could all route through to one common output to the TV, ideally a component OUT to TV. Can this be done or not?

Receiver: Sony STRDE897 circa 2004 (no HDMI)
TV: Samsung UN70KU6300FXZA circa 2016 (only has 1 "shared" composite/component port, cannot be used simultaneously, a real pain if using multiple older devices).

The device linked to above is just a component video audio input selector. It won't upconvert composite video to component. That receiver doesn't seem to convert video formats as they show the use of separate outputs to the TV.
No reason to do that in this case anyway. Won't make the picture look better or be more convenient to use the TV input as component video.
Since all your sources seem to be composite video only you don't need to add anything. Just connect them to the receiver with composite video and set the TV shared input for composite video. If you update to a modern disc player it will have HDMI. You would get audio from the TV optical output for that.
Some receivers did upconvert composite and Svideo to component video. Today there will be receivers to do that to HDMI but since it adds to the price you would need to make sure by checking the owners manual.

The device linked to above is just a component video audio input selector. It won't upconvert composite video to component. That receiver doesn't seem to convert video formats as they show the use of separate outputs to the TV.
No reason to do that in this case anyway. Won't make the picture look better or be more convenient to use the TV input as component video.
Since all your sources seem to be composite video only you don't need to add anything. Just connect them to the receiver with composite video and set the TV shared input for composite video. If you update to a modern disc player it will have HDMI. You would get audio from the TV optical output for that.
Some receivers did upconvert composite and Svideo to component video. Today there will be receivers to do that to HDMI but since it adds to the price you would need to make sure by checking the owners manual.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
alphacoyle Streaming Video & TVs 3
Fluffy4000 Streaming Video & TVs 2
G Streaming Video & TVs 1
H Streaming Video & TVs 4
F Streaming Video & TVs 1
A Streaming Video & TVs 1
J Streaming Video & TVs 10
S Streaming Video & TVs 3
A Streaming Video & TVs 3
K Streaming Video & TVs 2
P Streaming Video & TVs 1