Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

Yup, that was the same malware that I was researching on that web site. That's what kaspersky said, anyways. I just backed out and x'ed out the browser and called it quits instead of proceeding. Also, KIS said "detected object (file) is not active." Guess that means it was harmless.

Tux_Linux

Estimable
Nov 5, 2014

Right now I run Linux antix-m14 on my old Dell laptop and for my other laptop I run Ubuntu 14.04.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

If it's not active, then I would safely say that should be translated as either harmless, deactivated, plain text (which can only harm you if you make it a script), or something along those lines.

Even still, that's a level of paranoia that I'm a bit put off by. I mean, if you were to manually make that script live, I wouldn't think an AV software could ever be helpful you lmfao. That kind of person doesn't need an AV software; he/she would need a long, healthy break from computers.

Joeteoh99

Estimable
Herald
Jul 20, 2014
Between AVG and Malwarebytes, I personally prefer AVG mainly because it is more user friendly IMO.

And AVG seems to detect more malwares than Malwarebytes for me.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Well, MBAM may be marketed as anti-malware "and" antivirus, but the antivirus portion of it is lacking. It shouldn't be used as a standalone AV software, contrary to what some may say.

bobbybluz

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
MSE, Malwarebytes Pro, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit and Comodo firewall for my own computers along with the 50+ ones at the radio station I do IT for. Not a single infection ever with that combination and the station has a few totally clueless idiots using our network computers. I can't speak for what others experience but when I started at the radio station 3 years ago paid Norton was the only Internet security. After a few emergency calls in to work due to us being blacklisted for spreading malware I dumped Norton for MSE & Malwarebytes Pro and we haven't had an incident since. I've added the MB Anti-Exploit as it only recently showed up and put Comodo on guest computers with the highest potential for compromise.

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

I thought that was what not active was or meant. The page in my search list had the plain text of the malware and when I clicked on it, KIS informed me and gave me a choice if I wanted to continue or not.

G

hey all, what are opinions about ad-aware 11 antivirus free and paid. i use the free version and haven't had any problems. just thought i would get some input. thanks.
poorguy

G

ad aware 11 antivirus free has got a very simple easy to use GUI. i believe that it uses bitdefender as its antivirus engine, at least that is what i read somewhere. i dio know that ad aware 10 & 10.5 used vipre. so far so good no problems no complaints.
poorguy

LonelyMan

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I bought Emsisoft internet security 3 for the price of 1 and I like it. Customer service is top notch. Malwarebytes, nod32 and kaspersky free scanners from time to time. Adblock plus, Noscript, Web of trust and Ghostery. Using limited accounts not administrators. My laptop is acting weird but I think that it needs a re installation of windows and it does not have any viruses or anything else.

Does anyone know how to do a fresh install of windows 8 on a laptop without all the stupid bloatware?

The only way to install Windows without bloatware is to use Windows OEM (or retail) DVDs and not the re-installation DVD supplied by the laptop manufacturer.

If you re-install using the re-installation DVD then after installation run "Decrapifier" and that will remove bloatware. http://pcdecrapifier.com/download

G

you will need a retail copy or oem kit builders copy of OS.
another option is go into system tools at start up and choose to do a full recovery and then remove the bloatware carefully with revo uninstaller.
if you already have a OS cd then try to do a OS repair.

try using a system cleaner like ccleaner to remove old browsing history etc. use with factory defaults carefully.

poorguy

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

In essence: there are better options for the same price. You shouldn't have very many problems with it, but it definitely isn't one I would recommend. See my comment below for a little more detail.

According to PC Mag, Lavasoft switched from Vipre to Bitdefender for their engine partner. I read that as, "You're getting Bitdefender's scanner protection in a lesser package." I haven't seen any reviews indicating that a Bitdefender-based software would actually perform just as well as the original Bitdefender software, so I'd just go with BD's software to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS