Dobly 7.1 USB Adapter Compatibility?

nin-ha

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Hey everyone I have a question for you guys. So currently I have a Plantronics Gamecom 777 with the Dobly 7.1 USB adapter (links) and I was wondering if the USB adapter would work with other headsets that have 3.5mm jacks for both the headphones and the mic. The Steelseries Siberia V2s to be exact. I just bought a pair b/c my Plantronics are breaking but I was wondering if I could plug it into the adapter and get 7.1 surround sound out of them. Can anyone tell me if it will work? Thanks!

Solution
No, You should be fine. It isn't a big difference like hooking up some cheap computer speakers to a powerful home amp, where you destroy the speakers and the amp.

IF anything, the amp might work a little harder since the SteelSeries has bigger speakers. You may want to monitor that if you play at high volume.

Happy listening, the Prisoner...
I can't be a 100% sure but I would say they will work but mixamp is made to work with those headsets(meaning those headsets specs).
The Steelseries headset are closed cans, Plantronics open. The SteelSeries speakers are 50mm and the Plantronics are 40mm.

SO hopefully the headset amp is good enough to drive the larger speakers in the SteelSeries, at least both are 32 ohms.

Try it out and tell us how they sound.

nin-ha

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011

I won't blow out my headphones will I? I'm a total newbie when it comes to audio stuff but would there be any chance of me killing my headphones while using the adapter?

No, You should be fine. It isn't a big difference like hooking up some cheap computer speakers to a powerful home amp, where you destroy the speakers and the amp.

IF anything, the amp might work a little harder since the SteelSeries has bigger speakers. You may want to monitor that if you play at high volume.

Solution