Solved! Does my laptop really come with *see-content*?? And how do I switch graphic card usage for my games??

bukuxx

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017
My Dell Inspiron 15R 5520 said it came with:
CPU 2.5-GHz Intel Core i5-3210M
Graphic Card Intel HD Grapphics 4000

So I guess I had been using Intel graphic or some gaming performances over the past 5 years with it until I decided to reformat it last week and went onto Dell's support webpage to look for my drivers to install and I had found this driver under the 'Video' section (of 3 files) it had:
1- Intel HD Graphics 4000 Driver *which-I-was-expecting*
BUT 2) AMD Radeon HD 7670 Graphic Driver.
And 3) *I-don't-even-know-what-this-is* Intel WiDi Application.

At this stage.. I've installed the first two items. *I'm not sure about the last one, I might have forgotten* and my question is, does it mean that I am allowed to switch between graphic card setting and I am capable to choose one between two to use? IF So, HOW??

PS; does it do any harm if It did not really come with the AMD graphic card and i still install the driver?? Do I have the ability to run my game using the driver installed if I could like I asked above?? Do I Really neeeeed to install the driver just because the Dell's website says so in the supports and drivers?

Solution
Yes, in common with many laptops these days, yours has what's called "switchable graphics".

The Intel GPU is integrated in to the Intel processor and is used by default by Windows since Windows itself doesn't need powerful graphics so using the standard Intel GPU conserves battery power.

The other GPU (AMD Radeon) is a discrete graphics card (and uses more battery power) which you can configure to be used for games or graphics-intensive applications. Please read on:

You should find an app in Windows Control Panel or in the Start Menu called "Catalyst Control Centre" :

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19474269
Yes, in common with many laptops these days, yours has what's called "switchable graphics".

The Intel GPU is integrated in to the Intel processor and is used by default by Windows since Windows itself doesn't need powerful graphics so using the standard Intel GPU conserves battery power.

The other GPU (AMD Radeon) is a discrete graphics card (and uses more battery power) which you can configure to be used for games or graphics-intensive applications. Please read on:

You should find an app in Windows Control Panel or in the Start Menu called "Catalyst Control Centre" :

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19474269

Solution

caqde

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
Most of the time the driver's on the OEM website include ALL of the possible driver's for all Configurations of that model of notebook not just your specific model. This would mean that some models of that notebook include a AMD Radeon GPU I doubt you have this though given you would likely have noticed the AMD Radeon sticker that would have came on the notebook near all the Intel and other branding/"Feature" stickers.

bukuxx

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017

Okay I will try your suggestion once I get my laptop back from the fixer. Approximately about next 2-3 weeks I will pop you a PM so we can come back on this thread because that's when I get it back.
Thanks for letting me know though. :)

bukuxx

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017

Geee. The link you pasted is really a lot of reading within it. ._.
Anw I used to notice that Catalyst Control Panel but I don't seem to know what is the use of it.
I took a tour inside it recently but found nothing spectacular such as "switchable graphic" or anything. I might as well give it ago on the webpage (reading it) so I know how to switch the graphic.
So far so good. Thanks for replying though. Please let me know if anything I do need to know hasn't yet covered. :)

bukuxx

Prominent
Feb 12, 2017

Oh dang! I did not see any of AMD or ATI sticker at all in the right corner. There are only three stickers it came with.
1) PSC (a technology place/company of where I bought it from)
2) Intel Core-i5
3) ubuntu (this orange thingy I never understood what the use of it)

But once I'd installed the driver, I didn't get any alarm nor alert that I did anything wrong. So I'm good?