Does Samsung support .avi files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adventurousman

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015
I've a friend who lives in Germany, I live in Holland. He asked me to burn some dvds for you. He has 'Samsung - Model code - E360. Software version - DSP-E360RU-1002.0. Video output - CVBS'

Now I don't have many dvds so I was thinking using 'IMG BURN" and burning .avi files. I also burn for another friend (who lives here) and those .avi files work on his dvd player. It saves a lot of dvds so I was thinking of doing the same for my friend but I don't know if his dvd player supports .avi files or .mp4 files or .mkv files

He doesn't know either, he just gave me this model number and he doesn't know how to check it in the manual either.

I don't want to send dvds and then find out that they don't work.

The friend who lives here, on his player .avi files work but mp4 and mkv files don't. So would it be save to say that .avi files work on most dvd players and others don't?

thanks in advance.

adventurousman

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015
The MPEG4 audio and video data compatible with this player are contained in AVI files. This unit
can only play AVI format files with an “.avi” extension.

--------

this is confusing. I thought MPEG4 are .mp4s and now its saying mpeg4 with .avi

so if I burn .avi files, how would I know if they are mpeg4? shouldn't .mp4 be mpeg4?

RealBeast

Distinguished
Different models support different container format file types (.avi, .mkv, etc.). There is a difference between the container format and the contained content video format. Take a look at THIS brief description.

The various containers are usually interchangeable by using conversion software if devices do not support a specific container. I am surprised that .avi is not in the supported list, and would try using an .avi file to insure that the information from Samsung is actually correct.

When you convert content just be sure to use a container format that is supported if at all possible, as conversion is a time consuming process.

adventurousman

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015
but the manual clearly says what I've posted so it must support avi container, no? Most of the movies are .mkv so its hard to find those movies (that he wants) but I've found them in .avi but the video codec is xvid, would that work? I did some research and found out that xvid is using mpeg4 codec, so it must work?

All the .avi container files have xvid and .mkv containers have mkv or sometimes its not written so can't know for sure

I downloaded one .avi that said video codec 'mpeg4' but then I found out it was also xvid, so I assume its all the same?

btw are there different e360 or just one? I ask because I don't want to find out the manual was for another model

RealBeast

Distinguished
If the manual says that it supports .avi, which most do, then it supports it -- but it is not listed in the online Samsung specs, which is probably erroneous. It is unusual for smart TVs to support .mkv though unless it is a real new model.

There is only one e360 model, so I think that you are safe with .avi based on your reading in the actual manual.

adventurousman

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015
the link that I've given above, is of e360 manual (that's what it says) you can check it out and the information I provided was stated in that manual.

but the files I"m downloading has avi container and codec is 'xvid' that is mpeg4, rite? So its okay, should work?

thanks

adventurousman

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015
so he got the dvds. He played one. It has 3 avi files. 2 are playing well, the other is also playing but with no sound. How can he solve that?

As far I remember, I just downloaded avi files with xvid format and I thought that was enough or that the avi files have the necessary audio that would play on the dvd

anyway around this?

thanks again

adventurousman

Estimable
Mar 28, 2015
the avi files didn't say which audio codec it uses. One said mp3 the other ac3

I guess mp3 should work, not sure about ac3

so if its not supported and if the sound is not coming then that means its not supported and he can't do anything about it?

he can't go into settings and do something? It just doesn't read it? lol

Den Watsons

Estimable
May 26, 2015
A lot depends on a model itself. Sometimes the mp4 movies recorded not correctly on the Apple device will be rotated upside down.
Avi formats are usually supported, but MKV is an exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.