Dolby , Dts isn't working

LoayKh

Estimable
Mar 31, 2015
I connected tv to home theater via optical cable , laptop to tv via hdmi.

All speakers works , but the problem is that I don't get Dolby or Dts surround sound , I don't know wt's the problem. Any Ideas?

Solution
Just to put this in perspective, only a couple of ultra high end TV models pass through DD/DTS signals from their HDMI inputs to their optical out. I don't even know of any on the market today that do it (Pioneer Kuros used to but they have been gone for 5 years).

There is no way whatsoever to correct this issue, if you want to hear digital sound from your laptop through your surround sound you must connect it directly via optical cable (if you don't have an optical out you will need to buy an external USB sound card like the Sound Blaster X-Fi), or if your surround sound has HDMI in and out plug the laptop HDMI into the receiver and then go out via HDMI from that to the TV to get video.

Yamitime

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014
To get 5.1 you would have connect your laptop to the home cinema direct (hdmi in) then use the output (hdmi out) from the home cinema to the tv. This would also mean that you have to have a home cinema with hdmi in and hdmi out.Some of the older type don't have these connections and are limited to optical only in .

LoayKh

Estimable
Mar 31, 2015

I've tried that befor and I choice (Home theater speakers only) tv speakers doesn't work.

So u think there aren't other soultions ? because my Home theater doesn't have (Hdmi in).

LoayKh

Estimable
Mar 31, 2015

yes that would work , But I use alot of things on that tv so I don't want to unplug it and plug it on the laptop every time I want to use it, if u knw what I mean ?

You will plug your laptop to both the receiver (optical, for audio) and TV (HDMI, video). From your laptop' sound settings, you will chose your sound device (laptop' internal speakers, received thru optical, or TV thru HDMI).

Your other option is to use "HDMI Audio Extractor" - a device which sits on the HDMI cable from laptop to the TV, and extracts audio signal over optical to the receiver.

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
Just to put this in perspective, only a couple of ultra high end TV models pass through DD/DTS signals from their HDMI inputs to their optical out. I don't even know of any on the market today that do it (Pioneer Kuros used to but they have been gone for 5 years).

There is no way whatsoever to correct this issue, if you want to hear digital sound from your laptop through your surround sound you must connect it directly via optical cable (if you don't have an optical out you will need to buy an external USB sound card like the Sound Blaster X-Fi), or if your surround sound has HDMI in and out plug the laptop HDMI into the receiver and then go out via HDMI from that to the TV to get video.

Solution