Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Hey guys,

I'm in need of encryption for all my hard drives. Thing is I need this to work seamlessly under both Win7 Pro as well as *buntu Linux. Pretty sure neither of the native solutions of one OS works in the other.

Also, the OSs and some of the data will be on an SSD drive, then there are a few internal and external HDDs for data.

I've never used any encryption apart from testing native Ubuntu encryption in a virtual machine, and that was a nightmare when I needed to use the same (virtual) HDD elsewhere. So, any suggestions?

Basically, Is there any current replacement for TrueCrypt? Could I use the latest version that was released, or is any of the forks safe enough to use?

Thanks for any tips!

Solution
Nope, VeraCrypt is the primary fork since TrueCrypt closed up shop. It does require a fresh encryption as that was the only way to reliably plug some of the bugs in TrueCrypt.

There might be other ones out there that will let you continue running a TrueCrypt drive but they aren't the primary fork so the danger of developers just walking away is higher.

Sgt_Sykes

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Hm, seems that VeraCrypt can't work with the original TrueCrypt-encrypted drives and vice versa. I'm not sure how important it really is, but generally speaking isn't it more likely that the original system has a higher chance of being maintained in other forks? Or... I don't know really, I guess it's not practically possible to compare these different implementations, is it?

why_wolf

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
Nope, VeraCrypt is the primary fork since TrueCrypt closed up shop. It does require a fresh encryption as that was the only way to reliably plug some of the bugs in TrueCrypt.

There might be other ones out there that will let you continue running a TrueCrypt drive but they aren't the primary fork so the danger of developers just walking away is higher.

Solution