Question Dropped the laptop, now this happened... What did I break?

jay747

Commendable
Nov 15, 2018
I dropped my laptop. Since then, when I turn it on, as soon as Windows boots up, the screen becomes greenish and grainy. (In Linux live usb the computer (or screen) freezes after warm up).

If I press down on the bottom left corner of the laptop on a soft surface like a mattress while holding down the laptop from the right side so that it doesn't prop up from the opposing pressure (basically flexing it), the screen turns normal. If I let go, it becomes bad again. I also don't have to press hard.

If I disable my dedicated/discrete graphic card (ATI) through device manager, the screen turns normal.

From the above, l figured the impact probably dislodged the graphic card, so I opened up the laptop and removed the heat sink to see. Everything looked normal. I checked to see if the chip came loose, but it was firm and secure. I don't see how it could have dislodged anyway, given it's physical shape on the board.
I changed the thermal paste and bolted everything back up. Turned the laptop on, nothing changed.

What did I break? How do I troubleshoot this?

Thanks a mill for any help!

[HP DV6-3042ee]

Last edited:

mejustsayin

Commendable
Oct 11, 2020
different numbers mean different hardware within the series. without the proper info, there is no way for me to help since there is no way to know exactly what you have. Don't want to make things worse. Maybe someone else will be able to help you with the little info you gave. .

jay747

Commendable
Nov 15, 2018
different numbers mean different hardware within the series. without the proper info, there is no way for me to help since there is no way to know exactly what you have. Don't want to make things worse. Maybe someone else will be able to help you with the little info you gave. .
My apologies. Edited it again.

Nov 22, 2020
I dropped my laptop. Since then, when I turn it on, as soon as Windows boots up, the screen becomes greenish and grainy. (In Linux live usb the computer (or screen) freezes after warm up).

If I press down on the bottom left corner of the laptop on a soft surface like a mattress while holding down the laptop from the right side so that it doesn't prop up from the opposing pressure (basically flexing it), the screen turns normal. If I let go, it becomes bad again. I also don't have to press hard.

If I disable my dedicated/discrete graphic card (ATI) through device manager, the screen turns normal.

From the above, l figured the impact probably dislodged the graphic card, so I openes up the laptop and removed the heat sink to see. Everything looked normal. I checked to see if the chip came loose, but it was firm and secure. I don't see how it could have dislodged given it's physical shape on the board.
I changed the thermal paste and bolted everything back up. Turned the laptop on, nothing changed.

What did I break? How do I troubleshoot this?

Thanks a mill for any help!

[HP DV6-3042ee]
Maybe try connecting your laptop to a different screen and check if that works

jay747

Commendable
Nov 15, 2018

You make a big deal about knowing the exact model number and how you can't help without it, but when I provide it, not a peep.

mejustsayin

Commendable
Oct 11, 2020
You make a big deal about knowing the exact model number and how you can't help without it, but when I provide it, not a peep.

that is the thing about helping in forums, when you first posted I had time to actually do a little research to try to help you. When you finally gave the proper info, I did not. Then I forgot, plain and simple. Right now hp's support site is down so I do not have access to what I was looking for.