DSLR for Video

zachster104

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
Hello,

Im looking for a DSLR for video purposes. I plan on using this camera for video tutorials and face on views. This camera will be stationary and not film any type of action shots. I've researched a million DSLR's but cannot figure out what to use. I've looked at the D3200, D5200, A77, A65, 70D, T3i, T5i, etc and have no idea the real difference between these when it comes to video quality. Since I'm going to be shooting exclusively face on video like a news cast do I need to spend big bucks on a DSLR or can I get a lower end one? Please make some recommendations for me please!

Thank you in advance!

Solution
One important thing to remember is the quality of the lens or lenses that you use for recording video as that will make a difference regardless of which camera you choose. Many, maybe not all, DSLRs have a recording time limit so you might want to look into that as well. For example, according to the specs, the T3i limits recording to 11 minutes except at 640x480 while the T5i has a limit of 29 minutes 59 seconds in all video recording modes.

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 allows for much longer recording times and records 4K video but is also more expensive (body alone is around $1500).

What is the most you are willing to spend? That would help narrow it down quite a bit.

Heinrich17

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Any camera will do. Don't waste your money on a DSLR. Advantage of DSLR is the ability to use expensive lenses to get a shallow depth of field like hollywood without having to spend insane amounts of money. If you are worried about a messy room or something, just use a backdrop or use lighting so that you are lit up and the background is dark.
If you really want a photo camera for Video, look into a cheaper Panasonic micro 4/3 or a used Sony E-Mount (look for around $300). That is the best for video on a low budget. You can use adapted third party lenses (like old Minolta, Nikon, Canon, etc...) that perform excellent for video and will give the same look as any more expensive camera.

One important thing to remember is the quality of the lens or lenses that you use for recording video as that will make a difference regardless of which camera you choose. Many, maybe not all, DSLRs have a recording time limit so you might want to look into that as well. For example, according to the specs, the T3i limits recording to 11 minutes except at 640x480 while the T5i has a limit of 29 minutes 59 seconds in all video recording modes.

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 allows for much longer recording times and records 4K video but is also more expensive (body alone is around $1500).

What is the most you are willing to spend? That would help narrow it down quite a bit.

Solution