DSLR or Camcoder for Youtube Video

younus1932

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Dear All,

We hold lectures so i wanted to record those lectures and upload it on YouTube. The lectures are from 20 mins to maximum 35mins long. No, I won't be taking any still photos at all. That's all guys. So i am confused, what to get to record these lectures and upload on YouTube. My budget is 800$ i could go a little more also if I get something best. Just to let you all know I dont want to compromise with the quality of the video so i don't care whether its DSLR or a Camcoder , i just want to have the best quality video. So please suggest me. I have been on searching for days and days and every other person has his own different opinion. Please advice.

Note: I will be using Sennheiser ew 100 ENG G3 wireless mic so whatever you people suggest please keep in mind it MUST HAVE have an audio jack. Also if you think there are any other better wireless mic available other than these , do let me know.

Thanks

Solution
Will you be doing anything with the camera or camcorder other than recording lectures? If yes, then you may want to consider a DSLR which, in that price range, will give you the option to add interchangeable lenses for different shooting scenarios. If that is not a concern then a couple of camcorders to consider in the $500 - $800 range are the Panasonic HC-V750 Full HD Camcorder or the Panasonic HC-W850 Twin Camera Full HD Camcorder. Both of those have microphone input jacks as well as a headphone jack. B&H Photo Video is a good site to read customer reviews.

Some good choices for a DSLR include the Nikon D3300, Canon T3i or T5i (the Canon kit lenses are less than spectacular though). All of those have a microphone input jack. I have a Canon T4i and if you would like I can send you a link to video I shot with that camera via a private message. I won't post a link in the forum.

younus1932

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

Hey buddy thanks for the reply. Yes I would like to see the video you shot. Plz private message me. Also I would like to take the chance of asking the video you shot with the T4i needs rendering coz I heard DSLR videos have different file format which needs rendering before uploading to YouTube.

And my final question, plz don't get mad at me :$. Since I don't have any budget issue what do u think would be best in term of video quality wise camcorder or dslr.

Thanks. :)

I will send the link later but as far as ease of editing the T4i records in .mov format which has, for me, been easy to edit. As far as quality goes it really depends on the image sensor, the lenses, and of course the person using the camera. I will say that you will want as many manual controls as possible.

I honestly don't know, check out the links below comparing the two and let me know if you have any questions:
http://www.cameracomparisonreview.com/2014/06/11/canon-70d-vs-sony-a77ii/
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-70D-vs-Sony-A77
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/Canon_70D_vs_Sony_SLT-A77_vs_Sony_A77/BHitems/986389-REG_863245-REG_1047080-REG#removeItem=863245
The Canon has an optical viewfinder vs. a digital viewfinder for the Sony.
I personally like my Canon but in all fairness it's hard for me to say which is better since I have only used a Canon DSLR. I have used and still own both Canon and Sony camcorders. Have you looked at any Nikon's in that price range?

younus1932

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012

Dear Kenrivers,

As u suggested I found Nikon D7100 in the same price range and found also it to be more better and i have decided to go for it. My last question would be since i will recording videos only so recording with the lens and without makes any difference or not ? .. if it does then definitely i would go with the Lens kit it has.

Thank you very much for all the support so far :)

You must have the lens as you cannot record without it. The kit lens should be fine.

Solution