Dutiful Son searching for laptop for Tech Impaired Mother, any recommendations? Speech-to-text a requirement.

RobertIV

Estimable
May 28, 2015
Hey all!

I'm helping my mom pick out a new laptop (i.e. telling her which one to buy) but am finding it challenging - her preferences & requirements are completely different than mine. Was hoping some of you folks might have recommendations so I can find her something she'll be happy with.

Budget is about $700ish, but there might be a little flexibility for the perfect computer (maybe $800ish). A typical 15" display is fine.

Aside from the usual "reasonably lightweight laptop that can run word processing, web browsing, movies, etc" she's got a few specifics:

1. *Effective* dictation ability. She writes but has chronic wrist/hand trouble so needs good speech-to-text functionality. My plan was to get her Dragon NaturallySpeaking - the software purchase isn't a problem but not having used it before I want to make sure it's compatible across most laptops and that there aren't any dealbreakers for it hardware-wise. Or if there are any other considerations from you guys in the speech-to-text arena - it'll be one of the primary uses for this computer and is something I've got no experience with.

2. Backlit keyboard. I know this narrows down the selection a bit, but she says this is a must.

3. Any other considerations I'm unaware of. My mom is physically a typical person in her late 50s, so both a clear/bright/sharp display and a lower overall weight are ideal. As is general engineering ease-of-use. Beyond that I dunno what other kind of features are helpful for older folks, so any voices of experience are much welcome...

Been a few years since I've bought a laptop, so I'm totally new even to the touchscreen models that are being released - is touchscreen the way to go?

I'm really hoping to set her up with a computer that can get her back into writing despite the hand issues, so want to get this selection right. Thanks in advance!

Dragon Naturally Speaking is compatible with all laptops running Windows.

Perhaps the HP Pavilion 15t Laptop will be a good option. It can be configured with a backlit keyboard.

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ConfigureView?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&catEntryId=889651&quantity=1&color=