DV9000 Laptop LCD Dosen't turn on, Computer boots fine and runs fine with External Moniter.

kayot

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
I went ahead and got another monitor to make sure it wasn't the monitor. Both monitors work fine on another dv9000 laptop. What happened was that occasionally the monitor; on boot up, would slowly turn a weird white that looked like it was creeping up the screen. I would turn the system off and restart and it didn't happen for a while.

The laptop runs fine on an external display. I can play games and run everything including 3Dmark with no problems. My problem is that this is a laptop and meant to be mobile. It's stuck on a desktop and I would like to know if anyone has had this apparently unique problem,

kayot

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
Yes, both monitors work on another dv9500 (dv9000 series) I have. I have unplugged and checked the port. I'm worried that maybe there is something wrong with the motherboard near that section. Pulling out and looking at the mother board doesn't show any signs of damage. Something else that's odd is that when I have the system loaded into Win7 and I attempt using Fn+F4 (The monitor switch key) it doesn't even flicker the desktop monitor, though it does show some icon in the bottom right corner that looks like a desktop monitor with an arrow pointing at a laptop monitor.

I'm wondering, is there something else that could have burned out? There is a second cable coming out of the monitor that hooks into a small circuit board. I wonder if maybe crossing one of those cables would cause the system to think the Laptop lid is always opened? Perhaps that's the problem? Maybe something burned out that tells the system that the monitor lid is open and now it's not reporting?

Any idea's?

I can post a picture of the wire if that will help.

You can post a picture, but I think the circuit you mention is the inverter, it's the circuit that provides power to the bulb in the display. If the inverter is faulty, the backlight of the screen does not turn on. What kind of you dv9000 do you have, Intel or AMD.

kayot

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
I replaced the inverter and it didn't fix the problem. I'm guessing the problem was the port on the motherboard. I'm going to sell it for parts. I think this is my last laptop.

kayot

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
So I decided to keep the laptop and hook a touch screen monitor to it. I've been using is for quite some time in its current state. Last night something odd happened. I opened the screen and turned it on as normal, but the screen on the laptop turned on! It worked fine... until I adjusted the screen. It turned off at that point.

I think the problem has to do with what ever tells that the screen is open. What makes that odd is that if I close the screen it puts the system into standby mode. What part controls the screen power when the screen is opened?