DVDs won't play on my PC

salwc2k

Commendable
Jul 9, 2016
I have the same problem as another poster had on 6-17-2015 (twinkie431) but I didn't see a solution to it. Here is the issue: I put a commercial DVD into my DVD/CD drive and it comes up with files like VIDEO_TS or VTS_01_1.VOB. It used to just play the movie but now it's in parts. How do I just get my PC to play the movie instead of showing me those files. I've never seen this issue before so I'm clueless on this. Appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.

Solution
WMP can't play encrypted (commercial) DVDs, for that you needed a player app like PowerDVD or WinDVD.

You really might want to think about updating your operating system.

salwc2k

Commendable
Jul 9, 2016

I am using WMP 11 and XP SP3. Never had issues playing dvds before but its been a while and bow they won't play.

salwc2k

Commendable
Jul 9, 2016
Okay thanks. I'm thinking now maybe when I used to play DVDs a while back I had another player on there. I had several but have since removed them except for WMP. I almost could swear I played them on WMP though. Must be old age creeping up on me. Thanks COLgeek. I've kept XP OS on my desktop because it still works great and I also have a Laptop with Win10 and my Samsung S6 phone so felt no need to update os on the desktop. I'll be getting a new desktop soon anyway.