E-Reader Showdown: Kindle DX vs. iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So you can get Kindle books for almost every platform but you can only get iBooks for iOS devices. So why would anyone buy an iBook?

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Sony Readers aren't even mentioned instead we get yet another round of brainwashing about yet another crippled fashion device by Apple. How refreshing...

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
PS
There is quite a number of quality e-ink readers out there. Most notable, most of them are NOT BOUND TO A SINGLE STORE. Heck, many of them, unlike the ones mentioned above, allow to "rent" digital books from public libraries.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
I'm getting Archos 10 1 tablet as media player and e-reader myself...

screen isn't as nice as iPad but it does lot more than iPad for my use...

Icester

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
I read all my books on my iPhone using GoodReader. Sure the screen is small, but no one reads an entire page at once - it just requires more page flipping which is only a minor inconvenience. Plus I can set the screen to white text on a black background which is much easier on the eyes (and battery).

Who reads in the dark? Me. When I go to bed. And I am sure there are many more people who do the same.

Final point... since it's on my iPhone, my book reader is small and saves me from carrying another electronic device.

G

Not only is the Kindle easier to move than 10 boxes of books, it is cheaper than a book case to hold the books and doesn't fill up a home with stuff. Now if Kindle had a way to share a book.

alchemy69

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
The Kindle shown in the size comparison between the DX and the regular Kindle is a Kindle 2, not a Kindle 3, as the accompanying text would lead one to believe.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Couple things not mentioned:
The Kindle 3 is the way to go. It weighs ounces. The iPad feels like a chunk of lead next to it. There is no way you can lay on your back and hold a book above you or many other creative position you find yourself in after reading for hours.
The iPad works at night, sure...but it will cause insomnia.
The Kindle 3 with a cover actually DOES work in the dark. It has a light built into the cover that runs off the internal battery. And it doesn't cause insomnia.
The 3G phone built into the Kindle 3 is FREE. As in you don't pay monthly for it.

jaysbob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
why is battery life not mentioned? This is one of the Kindle's biggest strong suits, the kindle can go for (potentially) weeks without a recharge. iPad can barely go a day of regular use without a recharge.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Wow, I think I learned more about these e-readers from the comments than I did from the article...

I'm in the process of evaluating e-books/tablets for our board members so they don't have to print/hull around these 900 page board packets and none of these devices (except for the Archos 10 mentioned in the comments) seem appealing for the 5h board meetings.

jamesltoa4

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
I have been considering an e-reader for a while.
Primary needs - something I can hold with my right hand, in a suitable position that I can do a couple of hours reading.
(many have controls where my fingers need to go, having sloping/tapered edges, or are just too big to get my fingers around the back to hold them that way.)
Follow that with at least 24 hours battery life and a screen big enough to show a full (paperback) page at a viewable font such as is usual on paper books.
I tried a Sony and a couple of other 6" screen readers - so much fun scanning around while trying to look at a PDF with pictures, or follow the wires in something like a diagram of something such as wiring for a photocopier.
There was a nice twin screen mini-laptop/netbook, but that seems to have been 'discontinued', shame, ' cos it looked to be a reasonable alternative avoiding the 'marketing' inspired problems of the ebooks, but admittedly at a price.
Me - I'm still looking - maybe xmas 2013

G

first had an ipad and then I bought a kindle DX (the smaller kindle is like reading a pocket book. the DX you can read without scrolling full page pdf files on).

I can only confirm what the author is saying: get both. ipad is for interactive stuff but for reading a lot in a pdf (e.g. manuals) or a book, the kindle is absolutely worth the cost.

it's like having a computer and a tv. There clearly is overlap in functionality but most people would opt to have both.

Status
Not open for further replies.