EIGHT More Leave Infinity Ward, Two Join Respawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

UbeRveLT

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Can't wait for the first game this new and vitalised company will create! Glad to see they are all sticking together.

Kohlhagen

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Respawn is going to be epic. They can't use the IW 4.0 game engine right? If so, I can't wait to see what they build from the ground up.

lasaldude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
Modern Warfare 2 is an fun game for a bit, but no way is it a good or great game. Half-life 2 and Far Cry 2 are light years a head of that piece of shit that came out years after those two games. I thought you're supposed to learn from previous generations?

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]lasaldude[/nom]Modern Warfare 2 is an fun game for a bit, but no way is it a good or great game. Half-life 2 and Far Cry 2 are light years a head of that piece of shit that came out years after those two games. I thought you're supposed to learn from previous generations?[/citation]
It appears as though the masses disagree with you. Far Cry 2 sold 1 million copies in its first 3 weeks. Modern Warfare 2 sold 4.7 million copies its first DAY.
Half Life 2 has sold about 8.6 million copies to date, again, only twice as much as Modern Warfare 2 sold in its first day.

I personally hated Far Cry 2, but Half Life 2 was definitely one of the better games I've played. Modern Warfare 2, however, it just in another class of it own. I will say as a PC player that I was and still am disappointed by the lack of dedicated servers. But I won't take that one downfall and label the entire game as "horrible."

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]razercultmember1[/nom]O_O?! Crysis Engine collaboration with Respawn and Crytek anyone?![/citation]
I have a feeling that Respawn might go for the Frostbite engine before the Crytek engine, but, just a feeling.

ps12

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Priceless. I can just see a picture by picture timeline of the Infinity Ward office as it slowly declines in population until theres that 1 stubborn person left that will always be a suck up haha.

tearlach2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Ragnar-Kon, just because something is hyped up, doesn't mean shit. Remember Barack Obama or the movie Avatar. This is America and the US media is amazingly powerful when it comes to advertising what any group with money wants them to advertise, hell they can even make people like what they wouldn't with the logic flaw known as appeal to majority (even when no such majority exists outside of the advertisement.) Lasaldude was only talking about quality. TMW2 was Pulp shit to make money on the first person shooter market. If you really think the tech of MW2 is current, either you don't know what is current, or you need glasses. If you have glasses you may need a new scrip.

d-block

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
[citation][nom]thegreathuntingdolphin[/nom]Wow. They need to remake that video with all the people who left IW crossed out.[/citation]
There is one on youtube

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Haha it's funny because I guess I read one of these articles about a week and a half ago on IGN. The guys at IW were like "Oh we aren't worried about it, we still have x amount of employees out of 100".

Since then the number of employees left has probably tripled. Crazy stuff. I wonder if they are starting to sweat yet?

I'm interested to see what this new developer can do. I like the idea of guys that have already had TONS of success developing something completely from the ground up. Should be a nice break-away from all of the Modern Warfare we have been hearing about the past few years.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]tearlach2[/nom]If you really think the tech of MW2 is current, either you don't know what is current, or you need glasses. If you have glasses you may need a new scrip.[/citation]
Ah, well the tech of MW2 is far from current or groundbreaking. The IW engine just seems outdated to me compared to the newer engines like Crytek. But as far as the quality of the game, that is something I haven't seen in a long time. And sales to me seems something more than just hype. If people like the game, they'll buy the game, if they don't... well it just won't sell.
Having said that, I do think MW2 was definitely more advertised than most games, and that probably had a huge impact on first week sales numbers. But I don't think the advertising and hype alone can sell 11 million copies.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
What I really like about this happening is it shows that the publishers are NOT in control the people with the talent will always be in control. Let this be a example to all the publishers that mistreat the developers.

hokkdawg

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Just a point of clarification - Infinity Ward is not the bad guy here; Activision, the collaborator and "owner" of Infinity Ward is the lawless perpetrator. This whole thing is a case of employees (Infinity Ward) getting fed up by having a boss (Activision) take too much credit and $$ for their work.

Status
Not open for further replies.