Event Viewer is riddled with something relevant to WHEA-Logger

Caysle

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015
I have strange problems going on with Event Viewer. It's full of these errors (something about WHEA-Logger). How can I fix this? My laptop is Asus GL502VS and and graphics driver which I am using is 385.69.

Z9YP1z.png

Caysle

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015

I checked every device on the manager, only those with a line near them had no drivers installed. There was also no report of this problem when I disconnected from WiFi

MdkM0Q.png

Colif

Distinguished
Windows isn't always the best at identifying driver updates, I would compare the Asus site - https://www.asus.com/au/Laptops/ROG-GL502VS/HelpDesk_Download/ to what you have installed.

Error caused in PCI Express Root Port, similar errors to this caused by Bluetooth drivers, WiFi Drivers or out of date chipset drivers.

Vendor = Intel
Device is harder to ID, this seems to point at Intel WiFi adapter? https://communities.intel.com/thread/98739

Caysle

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015

Oo02O4.jpg

On my error log (screenshot above), near the Intel Vendor ID there is a "0xA112" which is probably the wireless card. I tried updating/reinstalling this chipset driver from Asus website. I got no errors after a few restarts, but it eventually came back. I think I'm left with three options:

1- Reconnecting wireless card. It might simply got loose and caused such errors (warrant woid if opened, I still have more than a year for it to expire)
2- Buying a new wireless card if it's the culprit
3- Wireless card was fine, it was mobo connector which was faulty. Needs mobo replacement which means RMA for a laptop

Caysle

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015

I don't have the latest BIOS. A new BIOS update was released after I bought my PC but I didn't needed it. I don't know how to update it either.

Onboard WiFi I think.

Colif

Distinguished
Wifi drivers are dated January 2017, not sure which you have installed.

See if you have BIOS version 302 installed
Asus BIOS has a tool built in called ezy flash - see here for info: https://www.asus.com/au/support/FAQ/1008859/

Caysle

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015

I have 10.1.1.38. There is a 10.1.1.42 in Intel's website, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with mine. (an i7 7700HQ laptop cpu) If you can confirm it is indeed compatible, I will update

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility-

BIOS 303 was released after I bought my PC, mine probably has 301 or 302. Thanks for the info.

Colif

Distinguished
Version V11.0.0.10426 is what is latest on the Asus site for your laptop, I would grab them.
hmm, wait, the drivers on laptop site are Qualcomm Atheros Wireless Lan Driver and Application, not from Intel.

Wi-Fi
Integrated 802.11b/g/n
Integrated 802.11 AC
Bluetooth
Built-in Bluetooth V4.0

Laptop site doesn't tell me if you have intel & Qualcomm as some laptops do have both

is your model VS or VSK as there are two variants, the VSK model appears to have Asus WiFi which i never seen before

you do have Intel Bluetooth though.

the device crashing is an intel device.

See if bios update fixes it before we try drivers

Caysle

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015

My laptop's full model name is GL502VS-FY306T (written under the laptop). It was produced as a Skylake and a Kaby Lake laptop. Mine is the Kaby Lake version. AFAIK, Kaby Lake version is named GL502VSK. BIOS 303 update from the website below was named "GL502VSKAS303":

https://www.asus.com/au/Laptops/ROG-GL502VS-7th-Gen-Intel-Core/HelpDesk_Download/

I updated both Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (to 10.24.1208.2017 version) and Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter (to 12.0.0.448 version). They didn't fix it.

Bluetooth driver is Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth 4.1 in Device Manager. IDK if ihis is is Intel or not, you know it better.

Colif

Distinguished
glad you know the models better than I do.

search cortana for Reliability history and open it, it will show a daily chart of activity. see if you have any errors here and if so, if they show any more details as I don't like guessing which device is causing this error.

Can you tell when it happens without looking in event viewer?

Caysle

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015

This is from today. FYI, ScpService is a program for my Dualshock 3. Only X360 and XONE controller works for Windows, whereas this program tricks Windows to make my DS3 look like a X360 controller. It actually works fine, I can play any game by just plugging it in but it also throws random errors like this.

Lby2Lb.png

This is from 4 days ago. I was playing BF1 and I set my laptop fan to 80% (laptop has auto-fan system so it does speed up the fans when there's heavy load, I just preferred to do it manually this time and it blew up on my ass). I was going to close the game so I set the fans to auto without closing the game. PC froze for a second or two and had some weird artifacts after a flashy screen (this is my best trying to explain that situation). After this, game abruptly closed by giving this error or similar to this one (pic from another dude):

If I remember correctly, this was where WHEA log started. I cannot say when this WHEA log started, currently in my Event Viewer there are no WHEA log before February 9th. Strange

vjbgz6.png

76qY4a.png

This is from 3 days ago. I don't remember what happened here

Pl0pg7.png

Lastly, this is my Event Viewer summary.

76qoMl.jpg

Unfortunately I cannot tell when it happens, all I can say is it is so frequent that it bothers me and everything else except my Event Viewer is running fine. No BSOD, no abrupt reboots, no performance drops in games. No latency when I turn on the PC, usually takes less than 10 seconds. There are some hardware errors like I posted above, but it seems they are about the graphic driver, which something Nvidia doesn't do very well for laptops. I also rolled 385.69 driver to 382.53 from Asus website, it also didn't fix

Colif

Distinguished
damn, i thought i had worked it out until you said screenshot isn't yours... his GPU being a Radeon was throwing me as you have an Nvidia GPU... i thought it was just left over drivers from an external GPU. Back to drawing board :)

Do any of the errors for Xbox controller coincide with the WHEA logger errors. Curious if they still occur if its unplugged.

what does the technical details of each hardware error in reliability history show?

Use the keyboard shortcut Win+X to access Device Manager. Are there any yellow question marks in Device Manager? If yes what is the Device Error code.

To see Hidden Devices (Non Plug and Play Drivers) you need to select View, Show Hidden Devices. It is necessary to do this every time you open Device Manager if you need to see them.

A further complication can be Ghosted Devices –installed but not connected!

http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2005/04/29/display-hidden-devices-in-device-manager-xp/

Error codes in Device Manager:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771355(v=ws.10).aspx

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance-winpc/help-me-with-this-warning-in-event-log/16cfc37d-cdda-4384-b098-cc1c485010fc

given I have only had 42 warnings in last 7 days in event viewer, I can't say 16k is normal.

Caysle

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015

UPDATE: I updated the BIOS version from 301 to 303 and restarted. Not a single WHEA log error for 16 hours straight. Makes me think that it's just a dumbass driver conflict in somewhere I can't put my finger on. It might start throwing errors after a simple restart :/

It was unplugged when ScpService threw these errors. I don't use controller that much.

No, I don't think ScpService coincide with the WHEA log errors. ScpService errors from Reliability History shows no specific pattern. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all. It seems that it's just a buggy software.

These are the last three hardware error codes from Reliability History, respectively:

LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Pascal_DmaCopy0 - 06-Feb-18 4:18 PM
LKD_0x117_Tdr:3_TdrBug:575504_TdrVTR:0_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Pascal - 06-Feb-18 10:37 PM
LKD_0x117_Tdr:3_TdrBug:575504_TdrVTR:0_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Pascal - 07-Feb-18 12.39 AM

They are all related to a Nvidia driver issue. This is a no surprise for me, as everybody knows the drivers released by Nvidia for laptops are usually unstable, especially the latest ones. I updated to 384.94 (from 382.53) after someone using it on a laptop recommended it.

On my Event Viewer right now, it shows 5727 errors from last 24 hours. Old WHEA errors are still counted it seems. Yesterday, it showed 16k errors in last 24 hours before updating to a merely 7120 errors (screenshot I posted) while total amount of errors hasn't changed. I actually had less than 100 errors (non-WHEA log)

Caysle

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015
UPDATE2: I restarted the PC just to make sure it doesn't appear in the Event Viewer. It didn't. Can't believe a mere BIOS update fixed this issue

UPDATE3: It came back after waking up the PC from sleep mode.

Caysle

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015

I always use DDU in safe mode when I update/rollback the driver & download the driver using Nvidia's website before I reboot.

Another strange thing is these errors come and go, they're not constant. Remember I said I didn't get a single WHEA log for 16 hours? That went like that for 6-8 hours more. I played some BF1 & mined ETH (I also mine since last summer, I'm sure this has nothing to do with the error log) and turned off the PC. When I opened an hour ago, they came back.

Can I ask for something else? Can you confirm if this update is compatible with my PC? I don't know much about a laptop chipset.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20775/Intel-Chipset-Device-Software-INF-Update-Utility-

t53186

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
According to the asus site here:https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-GL502VS/HelpDesk_Download/ you should use V10.1.1.13 for a model GL502VS running windows 10 64bit.

The ones on the intel site are V10.1.1.42-newer may or may not work, may or may not include fixes or enhancements that you would benefit from.

It would be best to try the ASUS version.

Since you've gotten good with the error log it might be helpful if you keep track of what you're doing, or periodically check the log to determine what the system is doing when the error occurs.

Caysle

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015

Actually there are two versions of GL502VS laptop. Mine is GL502VSK (K for Kaby Lake) and therefore V10.1.1.13 isn't for my laptop. Mine came equipped with V10.1.1.38 anyway. And yes I did try updating the chipset driver to V10.1.1.38 again, which fixed the error log for a while. I never tried uninstalling & reinstalling the driver though. Is uninstalling the device from Device Manager. (in this case Root Port #3 A112) the only way to do that safely?

This is the relevant page for my PC on Asus website:

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ROG-GL502VS-7th-Gen-Intel-Core/HelpDesk_Download/

Right now I don't have any WHEA log errors. I got just 2 of them when I start the PC and that was it. I'd say that it is some hardware that's actually faulty but when I have no errors for nearly a day, it is hard to say that some hardware is broken.