lewza

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
We have upgraded our users hardware and since the upgrade we are having a lot of memory issues relating to excel.

When people are working from large spreadsheets we occasionally get the error about the spreadsheet being corrupt and an error which states cannot complete this task with available resources. However, I know the spreadsheet works fine and there isnt an actual issue with the file.

The new machines are pretty powerful - i5, 8gb memory and when these errors occur the memory usage is only at about 1.5-2gb with 6gb remaining.

Any ideas?

lewza

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
They are stored on a file server but I have tested with it locally.

I cant seem to replicate the issue on my own machine, but I havent had an upgrade.

All the people who report this issue have had there hardware upgraded. However, all machines are locked down under the same policy.

We are now all using the same version of Office, which is 2010.

The spreadsheet does contain plenty of formulas and stuff but the file size is not bigger than 10mb.

Ive had a google and tried a few 'fixes' which supposedly help but nothing seemed to work.

lewza

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Yeah patches and updates installed. It happens with a few spreadsheets, usually the ones with plenty of formulas and data though.

We use the 32 bit Office software on Windows 7 64 bit.

aford10

Distinguished
If it's running a fairly intensive macro, it may be tapping out the resource limit of the 32bit Office install. You may need to switch to the 64 bit office, or kill some of the other tasks running in the task manager.

lewza

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Thanks for the advice guys, maybe I need to build a test machine with 64 bit office on as the macros are pretty intensive.

The problem we have is apparently our CRM server doesnt integrate with office 64 bit to well.

Something to tackle :)

Thanks again.

lewza

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Actually, thinking about it...

The people who are experiencing issues never had problems on the there old machine which was 32 bit office.

Hmmmmm going to be a long winded one :(