External GPU cannot detect laptop monitor as display

Jul 11, 2018
Hi,
As the title says my newly installed external graphics card cannot detect my laptop monitor as display.
The eGPU is AMD R9 270x 2GB DDR5

My laptop specs
-Acer Aspire E521 with APU processor Radeon A6 with R4 graphics
-Windows 10
-Bios version 1.05 (latest according to my manufacturer page)
-Motherboard model Acer Larne V1.04 AMD AGESA MullinsPI V1.0.0.2

Things I've tried
- Clean install AMD R9 drivers (didn't work)
- Removing the old AMD R4 drivers (didn't work)
- Remove both drivers and clean install AMD R9 drivers only (didn't work as it says that there are no display connected to the AMD product in the display tab in radeon settings)
- Installing both Drivers back the only display it detected is the R4 graphic not the R9
- BIOS literally didn't help at all because there is nothing in it no options for me to disable my iGPU or anything like it. There are no "advance option" in my BIOS.

The only thing that worked is by installing a PC monitor or external monitor and connect it to the eGPU and then the display in the radeon setting is detected and the eGPU works just fine (The drivers I installed is the AMD R9 drivers only not my old R4 graphics driver) so what I am trying to do is making my eGPU to detect my laptop monitor not the external monitor. Can anyone help ?

Solution
Sorry, it just doesn't work that way. Most laptops (including yours) don't have a video input. There's no way to connect an eGPU to the laptop display. You have to use an external display, as you found.

Some new laptops now have a Thunderbolt 3.0 connector. Combine it with an eGPU enclosure that also supports Thunderbolt 3.0 and it will allow the eGPU to display on the laptop.

Scottray

Respectable
Jul 14, 2016
Sorry, it just doesn't work that way. Most laptops (including yours) don't have a video input. There's no way to connect an eGPU to the laptop display. You have to use an external display, as you found.

Some new laptops now have a Thunderbolt 3.0 connector. Combine it with an eGPU enclosure that also supports Thunderbolt 3.0 and it will allow the eGPU to display on the laptop.

Solution