External Hard drive connected to TV 4k Video

blend

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Hello,

I have read through the threads and can not find a specific answer to this.

I want to be able to watch my 4k movies that I have on my external hard drive to my TV. As well as be able to transfer new movies to that hard drive via my network. I know I can connect the hard drive directly and that works great but can not add more content to it from my network.

Looking more online it looks like I can use a media player but seem to be a bunch of sketchy ones on amazon. I am not interested in having the streaming services on a media device(but will have them if I have to) because my TV has all of that. Just want to central hub to connect all of my downloaded content that can do 4k.

It looked like the WD TV Media Player could do this but it doesnt do 4k...

I was looking at having a NAS next to my TV cabinet with Ethernet and then usb cable to the tv but can not find a NAS that can do usb read while reading the Ethernet...

Thanks!

Solution

We have a mis-conception of how a NAS works.

A NAS places your HD on the LAN, typically ethernet but also WIFI if you wish to. USB is then cut off.

TV ------ (LAN ethernet/WIFI) ----- NAS.

Sounds like you already have an HD, then you are looking for a disk-less NAS enclosure. The downside of this is, the NAS may force you to format the HD to a specific format before you can use, so backing it up to "somewhere else" maybe mandatory.

If you see an USB port on a NAS, that's intended for maintenance/setup and not intended as a permanent data hookup.

We have a mis-conception of how a NAS works.

A NAS places your HD on the LAN, typically ethernet but also WIFI if you wish to. USB is then cut off.

TV ------ (LAN ethernet/WIFI) ----- NAS.

Sounds like you already have an HD, then you are looking for a disk-less NAS enclosure. The downside of this is, the NAS may force you to format the HD to a specific format before you can use, so backing it up to "somewhere else" maybe mandatory.

If you see an USB port on a NAS, that's intended for maintenance/setup and not intended as a permanent data hookup.

Solution