External Microphones not detected in Windows 10, Conexant SmartAudio HD

rishibroto1006

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
Hello,

I have a Lenovo G50-70 laptop with Windows 10. The audio driver is Conexant SmartAudio HD and the latest version available on Lenovo's website is 8.66.27.55. This latest version is installed on the system

The Laptop is unable to detect any external microphones connected to the system via the 3.5mm jack. However, it detects any external speakers connected via the same jack. Both the microphone and the speaker share the same 3.5 mm jack.

I have tried a number of troubleshooting steps, but in vain. I have listed the steps below and look forward to your kind help in this matter. The steps I have taken to resolve this are as follows:

Uninstalled all audio drivers in the system and re-installed the driver from Lenovo's website.

Disabled all audio enhancements.

Reset Entire Windows 10 Operating System, updated the operating system using Windows Update and then re-installed the drivers.

Tried with a number of other microphones to ensure the microphone isn't faulty.

Despite all these steps, It's not resolved. I look forward to you to kindly help and resolve this for me. Will be grateful to you.

Solution
I do not think the problem is the audio chip itself, perhaps the problem is simply a connector on the motherboard that is loose and makes poor contact. You have a small PCB with the card reader, USB port and plug for audio, which connects the three with a connector on the motherboard.
Have you tried the following...

1. Go to "Control Panel".
2. Click on "Sound".
3. Click the "Recording" tab.
4. Click on the device you are trying to fix.
5. Now click the "Configure" button and then click "Set up Microphone".
6. Once that is complete, click the "Properties" button.
7. When you are done with your changes, in "Properties", click "Apply" and then "OK".
8. Then click "OK", again, on the main "Sound window".

rishibroto1006

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
Yes. Have tried all those options. Every troubleshooting option available on the Internet have been tried, but all in vain.

rishibroto1006

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
Yes. I have tried that as well. It shows the latest drivers are already installed

rishibroto1006

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
Could you please elaborate what is a 4 positions jack? I have tried with a earphone with mic and with a headphone by connecting the microphone jack to the slot. The system detected both the devices but failed to intercept any audio input.

4_positions_plug.jpg

rishibroto1006

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
Any solution to this issue at the moment? This seems to be a driver related issue. Shouldn't blame the headphones for the same.

rishibroto1006

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
Had it been a hardware fault, even the speakers would not have worked as both speakers and microphone share the same jack. Yes, the drivers have been updated and regardless of the driver version, the problem doesn't seem to stop. The sound card was pre-installed at the time of purchase of the laptop.

Try this....

Go to "Start" then in "RUN" type "Realtek". You should see the "Realtek HD Audio Manager" listed. Click and open it. Just above the "Analog" button, there should be a "Device Advanced Setting" option in blue, that is click-able. Click it and then select "separate all input jacks as independent input devices". Make sure you check the "mic-in" option. See if you can get it to work now.

NOTE: If you don't have the "Device Advanced Setting" link, you may need to update Realtek.