External optical drives that don't use mass storage controller

CGA

Estimable
Apr 11, 2015
Our managed network at work disables the USB mass storage controller to prevent USB sticks from mounting to Windows. This also prevents external optical drives from mounting to smaller laptops that don't already have an integrated drive. Where can I find an external optical drive that bypasses the mass storage controller and properly mounts to Windows?

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
This sounds like a security issue. From that standpoint, I would have the same concerns over folks using optical storage as I would USB storage. If you really must have optical storage, talk to somebody in your company who has the authority to grant your special exception. We can't help you bypass security measures through the forum.

McHenryB

Estimable
Jan 31, 2015
The people who manage your network want to prevent you from connecting external mass storage devices. They probably don't care whether it is a flash drive, a hard disk or a CD. Either respect their wishes or else talk to them to agree a solution.

CGA

Estimable
Apr 11, 2015
Not trying to bypass a security measure. All manner of external devices are authorized except for USB sticks, but since the mass storage controller is disabled, this configuration unintentionally catches other devices.

CGA

Estimable
Apr 11, 2015
The network security folks are willing to grant a waiver to release the USB restriction, but this only makes the laptop less secure when travelling. The trick is to find an external optical drive that works through HID or something else without having to reduce security by turning off the mass storage controller restriction

McHenryB

Estimable
Jan 31, 2015

That doesn't make sense. A CD drive is just as much of a security risk as a flash memory drive. You have two options:

1. Accept the offer from the IT department and be careful with your computer.

2. Ask for a laptop with a built-in CD drive.

I'd go for 1. as your IT people are co-operating.