Feb 16, 2017
Specs
Dell XPS 15 9530
Processor Intel I7-4712HQ CPU @ 2.3GHz
RAM: 16 GB
Windows 10 64 Bit
Resolution 3200 x 1800
Geforce GT 750M

I have my laptop for 2 reasons school (works fine) and playing Team Fortress 2 (or other random games)

When I first purchased my laptop, It was capable of running TF2 at 120 fps with no stutter, drops, or issues.
In the past couple months the fps has started slowly dropping while playing averaging 120 when the game first starts up. It now stutters and drops by ~30 fps during fights and intensive situations and after about 15 minutes starts slowly dropping until it reaches 15 or less.

My laptop peaks at 95C for temp while in game, which I know is high (unsure how to fix it as XPS computers are known to have this issue)

I've done EVERYTHING game related. (min settings, fps configs, disabling vsync, enabling / disabling cores, verifying game cache, reinstalling the game / steam, etc)

If it is just a heat problem (which it might be) I'm not technically savvy enough to clean the fans / replace them. Would that require me to go to a store and pay an insanely high amount if that's the issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Most likely the thermal paste has dried out and needs replacing or the fans are worn out and needs replacing.

Here are a few software things you could try:

1. disable xbox dvr
2. disable automatic update for windows apps
3. uninstall geforce experience
4. Disable and unistall unnecessary programs for startup and on hdd
Most likely the thermal paste has dried out and needs replacing or the fans are worn out and needs replacing.

Here are a few software things you could try:

1. disable xbox dvr
2. disable automatic update for windows apps
3. uninstall geforce experience
4. Disable and unistall unnecessary programs for startup and on hdd

Solution