Facebook Testing $1 Service for Messaging Strangers

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Perhaps they should pay $0.10 of that the user that they're sending it to ... I'd willingly receive spam emails (that would take seconds to delete) if I was getting paid for them!

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
this sound like a dangerous precent, charging per email. How many times have we heard idea, real and ficticious, about a per email tax/charge/etc. for anything from supporting the Post Office to raising revenue. While sharing "spam revenue" is a nice idea, spammers spam because it costs the same to send 1 email as 1 million: nothing. This seems more useful for stalkers and directed hacks.

I still can't believe Facebook hasn't gone down the toilet yet, as least far the stock price. Bring it from the billions to millions and I might be convinced.

hydac7

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
[citation][nom]Gryphon64[/nom]Perhaps they should pay $0.10 of that the user that they're sending it to ... I'd willingly receive spam emails (that would take seconds to delete) if I was getting paid for them![/citation]

Same here :)

mark0718

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Gryphon64 12/22/2012 12:20 PM
"Perhaps they should pay $0.10 of that the user that they're sending it to ... I'd willingly receive spam emails (that would take seconds to delete) if I was getting paid for them!"

Good idea, but you have the ratio backwards. The addressee should get 90%,
Facebook 10%. It should also be possible for the addressee to read the message
and say the sender doesn't have to pay the 90%.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
So Facebook wants to be less respected than apple?

They should have to pay Facebook users $1.10 .... $1 from the sender and $0.10 from F*ckerberg's personal bank account.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
I love the asinine comments for this post. So many people hating on Facebook, but so many of you use it too. You want to hate a guy that has it made! In retrospect you guys would hate anyone that is rich. They did not get there because they are kind and generous. If you are not rich it is your fault, no one else. Get a real life, a real job, and make your own damn money!

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]I love the asinine comments for this post. So many people hating on Facebook, but so many of you use it too. You want to hate a guy that has it made! In retrospect you guys would hate anyone that is rich. They did not get there because they are kind and generous. If you are not rich it is your fault, no one else. Get a real life, a real job, and make your own damn money![/citation]
/golfclap

G

Expect increasing invasion of privacy from FB while market and shareholders increase their pressure to rapidly milk this huge base. While their lawyers and PR folks work overnight to wade through legal/privacy landmines worldwide- notice the increasing frequency of experiments like this post IPO. This is not surprising at all and I believe they will eventually get away with it as majority of the unwary users allow themselves to be subjected to this slowly accelerating exploitative schemes. Well this will continue to the point where marketers feel they reached a level of insignificant returns that can be mined from this populace.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]I love the asinine comments for this post. So many people hating on Facebook, but so many of you use it too. You want to hate a guy that has it made! In retrospect you guys would hate anyone that is rich. They did not get there because they are kind and generous. If you are not rich it is your fault, no one else. Get a real life, a real job, and make your own damn money![/citation]

Tell that to businesses. Many of them that don't use FB or have very small presence usually have weak customer satisfaction, because customers prefer to vent their complaints on FB and Twitter. When the complaints go unanswered, bad things happen.

friskiest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
So they call this a feature? Well, I personally can't blame FB for doing this,. they have to get money to pay for the expenses of the "free" personalized pages, image/video upload and others,. its a freakin business after all,. you get "free" services in exchange of your personal data,.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Facebook: We're not making enough billions, someone do something!
Someone: Lets ad Adds that last 15 seconds, and charge 1 dollar to send messages to "strangers"
Facebook: Genius, i'll be on my 4th yacht, tell me how it works out.

hector2

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
So who gets the $1 ? Facebook or the recipient ? Facebook, I'm betting. They don't care if you message strangers

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
Perhaps the real goal here is to make you friend people... I have people(family members) not on my friends list because they are simply annoying as hell... But we message each other for events and stuff..

In the end they could claim that Facebook has the largest community of friends, EVAR!!.....

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Before when I said that facebook would never go away until they made huge mistakes? Well, they are beginning to make these mistakes. They should be monetizing their site through the games and media that people WANT to see, not from things that people DONT want to see.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]I love the asinine comments for this post. So many people hating on Facebook, but so many of you use it too. You want to hate a guy that has it made! In retrospect you guys would hate anyone that is rich. They did not get there because they are kind and generous. If you are not rich it is your fault, no one else. Get a real life, a real job, and make your own damn money![/citation]Oh look, one of those "Everything is fine as long as it's in the pursuit of money!" people. No one gives a crap that Zuckerberg is rich, and no, neither he nor his company are immune to criticism because they have money.

Status
Not open for further replies.