Feds Bust Cable Modem Hacker

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Stupid punishments... really stupid. People who kill one another don't even get this crazy amount of time and bonds/fines!

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Can we use this as proof that the US ISPs are gimping service for no reason since the boosted users didn't bog down other users internet?

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]Can we use this as proof that the US ISPs are gimping service for no reason since the boosted users didn't bog down other users internet?[/citation]

Thank you! I thought this as well.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Bad logic guys. One or two users doing this in a neighborhood won't make a big impact with an uncapped modem. Now if twenty or thirty users on a node did this, yes it would make a difference and you can bet the cable company would report them and shut off their service.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Wow... I need to get one of these...
Thinking about upgrading to a 15 megabit down and 1 megabit up form my ISP... it's only $45 (with bundle, $54 without)... as compared to $35 for my 7.4/0.5mrgabit down/up...

But I'd love 100 megabit service. =D

Remember we used to fool our satellite dish for every channel for free... those were the days... (back when my mother knew more about tech than I did, and I didn't know how to remove the lock on 'adult' channels).

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]Can we use this as proof that the US ISPs are gimping service for no reason since the boosted users didn't bog down other users internet?[/citation]
[citation][nom]rdawise[/nom]Thank you! I thought this as well.[/citation]

This doesn't mean that at all... The way you guys jump to conclusions borders scary. How do you even know the other users speeds weren't affected? Mayeb a complaint started it all. Please attempt to THINK.

Toddosan

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
[citation][nom]sorin7486[/nom]yeah ... only in america ... land of the free and ... um ... what was the other thing ?[/citation]
The greedy?

G

What I never understand is that other countries like China can hack our country at will and even have tons of sites and tutorials encouraging others to hack places like the USA without any penalty.They can break into government systems, steal, plant malware and ddos our websites etc but some guy in the USA gets hacks to get some free internet and he is treated like a murderer. I mean yes he should be punished for breaking the law but come on, they should be using eye for an eye here not eye for a body.

nicklasd87

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Thats crazy, one of my friends in Boston does this as well, I bet he got allot of his information from the TCNISO website...I would tell him over AIM, but he isn't online.......uh oh

jisamaniac

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
[citation][nom]jeraldjunkmail[/nom]Excessive punishment. Punishable offense though...[/citation]

Punishable, but ISPs stop bending us over and ramming a screw driver up our asses for "reliable" internet that doesn't get throttled, capped, and so offer faster speeds at more responsible prices, so the bandwidth toggle isn't an issue.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]jeraldjunkmail[/nom]Excessive punishment. Punishable offense though...[/citation]

True...true, killers usually get about that.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]bildo123[/nom]True...true, killers usually get about that.[/citation]
Yeah, exactly! Here's an idea... why don't these FEDs and other law enforcement agencies go after real criminals? Gangs are a huge and ever-expanding problem in our country. They are responsible for murders, rapes, human trafficing, drug trafficing, various other violent crimes as well as just random acts of violence. How about we make some progress on that front, and then get back to the guy hacking his cable modem a little later.

Jarvis

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004
Codesmith, to answer your question: no. You need to get a hold of a mac from another CMTS from that provider typically. The cable providers can actually track you down, but it's fairly difficult, especially if you change your cloned mac once a day or whatever and don't just go uncapped. They would be able to tell which of the two macs is legit and then find the cmts/upstream combination and then get a field tech to pull legs off of that upstream until your hacked modem dropped. This would narrow the scope and they would keep going until they got your pedastal. They would unplug each wire from the ped until they found the one going to your house. This type of work would not be done during the day, as each upstream would have from 50-250 users, so if you turned your hacked modem off at night this would also screw them.

Status
Not open for further replies.