Firefox 4 Mobile Faster than IE8 on a PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Keyword is IE8... not IE9 =) But still impressive. Lame that it doesn't have flash support but I blame that kind of stuff on Adobe.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
This isn't a very fair comparison. IE 8 should have been run on Intel's very best Core i7 processor available. AMD makes really crappy PC processors.

aspireonelover

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]This isn't a very fair comparison. IE 8 should have been run on Intel's very best Core i7 processor available. AMD makes really crappy PC processors.[/citation]
You are so biased.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
It crashed because you have an Archos tablet... the Galaxy runs it no problem, as does my Desire and Desire HD (one is for work)

morethantoast

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]This isn't a very fair comparison. IE 8 should have been run on Intel's very best Core i7 processor available. AMD makes really crappy PC processors.[/citation]

Can't tell if trolling or just very stupid.

jojesa

Distinguished
[citation]Mozilla claims it is about three times as fast as the standard Android browser (we found it to be about 2.5 times as fast on a G2 test phone). However, we found the comparison to web browsers much more interesting. [/citation]
I do not how you arrived at that conclusion, since on my G2 Firefox crawls like a dying turtle.
The browser included is a lot faster than Firefox over wifi, 3G or 4G or any other G.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Yes, because fair involves giving IE8 an advantage... ?
The processor IE8 ran on was already a huge advantage, and you say that it needs a bigger advantage to be fair?
[citation][nom]morethantoast[/nom]Can't tell if trolling or just very stupid.[/citation]
Methinks both.

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009

Fanboys suck.

[citation][nom]morethantoast[/nom]Can't tell if trolling or just very stupid.[/citation]

More like stupid troll.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Highly doubt that would've made a difference... it's an internet browser... not Crysis.

And i have to dispute you on that statement, the prices on AMD processors makes them an Extremely attractive option. and their share prices have doubled in the last couple of years.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
IE8? What's with everyone releasing absurdly unbalanced comparisons?

In other news, Intel's latest i7 processor whipes the floor with AMDs K7 in Cinebench

emjayy

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Why are people complaining about the comparison? The take-away message here is that, in 2011, it's now possible for those typical clueless people who don't know squat about any desktop browser other than 'that little blue e' that came pre-installed to experience faster browser javascript performance on their brand new smartphone than on their significantly more powerful home PCs running IE8 or IE7. That's a significant tech milestone. So why compare to IE8? Because IE8 is the most 'popular' browser version out there; it's used by 30% of the planet's Internet users according to StatCounter. Many of the people who will be browsing from smartphones in the coming year will still be using PCs running the ancient IE8.

melling

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
2.5% of PC's run IE9. Over half the world's PCs run XP so they will never run IE9. So, yes IE9 is a big improvement but no one uses it. Now Firefox 4 has about 50 million users in 1.5 weeks. Now that's got traction!!!

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
So FF4 mobile is faster than IE8.

Well done, someone pass me another bag of apples and oranges.

Next thing someone is going to tell me that OSX is faster than Windows 3.11.

melling

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
No one runs Windows 3.1. Why would anyone compare anything to that? IE8 is the most used browser in the world. For some reason, Windows users have a difficult time understanding even the simplest ideas.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]melling[/nom]No one runs Windows 3.1. Why would anyone compare anything to that? IE8 is the most used browser in the world. For some reason, Windows users have a difficult time understanding even the simplest ideas.[/citation]
It was supposed to be a comparative example that something several years older on a totally different platform will not perform as well.

But kudos for admitting you don't understand what the hell I was talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.