in_core

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
I am using Firefox 4.0.1 from many days. Whenever I launch the browser it checks for updates, compatibility, add-on and etc. Then it launches two tabs: 1. the welcome screen(which used to appear only when it is installed fro the first time) 2. The homepage

I cannot find a way to stop that initial check and the welcome screen. It just appears every time .
Is there any way to stop those irritating things to happen every time?????

Please help

Hawkeye22

Distinguished
Yes, but you can have multiple tabs set as a homepage. Check the homepage in the options and make sure it isn't overwritten.

Also, if you have any addons, try temporarily disabling them one by one to see if any of them are effecting firefox.

As an extreme case, you could type "about:config" without the quotes in the URL bar. Accept any warnings, then filter for startup.homepage_welcome_url. Right click on it and select modify. Delete the entire string and click ok. Now restart firefox. By removing this, the update screen may never appear again unless you restore the original value, so do this as a last resort.

in_core

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

tried it...dosnt make any difference.... i also tried uninstalling the firefox (v4.0.1) and installed the version 4.0 which works fine without any issue i have mentioned......but after few minutes of use it automatically downloads the version 4.0.1 in the background and installs it......

in_core

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

tried it...does not make any change.... still the same

Hawkeye22

Distinguished

You went into about:config and removed the value for startup.homepage_welcome_url and it still came up???

in_core

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010

yes tried that as well...nothing changes....its like as if whatever i settings i change it does not save....so next time same old thing happens

in_core

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
i m also shocked...i have tried os many things and theres no solution...
is there any way to remove all my firefox extention and addons when uninstalling firefox....i might try that
but as i said i took that path many days ago but dosen not fix the problem

abar92

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011

Did you try the software I have suggested you in 1st page?Please give a try,It may work,Don't fear this software,it is from the maker of Download Accelerator Plus(DAP) 'Speedbit'.I use it and fix the problem with my firefox 4,I was also not unable to change the home.

http://download.speedbit.com/RestoreBrowserSettings.zip