Firefox and chrome backup + 32 or 64 bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
first and foremost, what should i use / how do i back up firefox and chrome, im moving to a new drive, and os and want to back them up for easy moving, but have no clue the folder/program to use

and with firefox, should i bother with 64bit? god knows i use enough ram to make a 64bit version a viable option, but i have no idea about its stability and would love to get opinions from people who are useing it.

Solution
U can use for Firefox soft like MozBackup.

MozBackup is a simple utility for creating backups of Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, Mozilla Sunbird, Flock, SeaMonkey, Mozilla Suite, Spicebird, Songbird and Netscape profiles.

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

nikorr

Distinguished
U can use for Firefox soft like MozBackup.

MozBackup is a simple utility for creating backups of Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, Mozilla Sunbird, Flock, SeaMonkey, Mozilla Suite, Spicebird, Songbird and Netscape profiles.

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

Solution

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
im moving to an ssd,
im using ddr2 ram, but i have 8gb worth of it for when i move.
im also going to windows 7.

sticking with my phenom II though, cant justify getting anything better because its not worlds of difference, everything i want to do, it does, and it does well.

now, here is my question.

the mozilla way, will it back everything up, move it in its entirety, and when i open firefox up on the new os, it will be just like it is now.

and with chrome, basically the same thing. i dont have to take time setting anything up and it remembers passwords too?

to me the internet browsers are about the only thing, asside from ssd firmware, that i dont want to screw up at all, as they are such a pain in the butt to get just how i like them...

you have any idea if the 64bit version of ff handles massive amounts of tabs better? i open upwards 600-700 tabs at peak, but usually hover around 300 ish, the 32 bit version starts to crap out at about 1.5gb ram usage.

nikorr

Distinguished

If u will use those 2 programs, than passwords and all the settings and history in the search boxes will be saved.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
this never posted for some reason, ment to post it last night.

do you happen to know what the profile folders are for firefox and chrome, im going to use the programs, i just want to be able to have a few different backups incase one method fails... its happened to me in the past.

nikorr

Distinguished
For Chrome, it would be more complicated than u think. I would not do that, waste of time, IMHO.

I use these programs all the time and never had a problem.

Only when I backed up FF with extensions and tried to restore it to the newer version, for example version 3 back up to the version 4.0, than some doesn't worked, but thats normal, due to large software change.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
nah, got webpages bookmarked, and on my desktop, im going to run the backup on the 24th for them, go to sleep, get the ssd, ram, and 7 in the morning and get that up, running, and everything i want on it.

i want to pull the most recent version for it.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
chrome backup took a crap ton of space, over 800mb even when everything was cleared, and it continually "failed" to restore, but it restored, that program works but im guessing it has allot of bugs.

firefox didn't see i had a nightly 8 build, but still backed it up, but wouldnt restore without firefox fist being installed.

any way, they both worked and thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.