Firefox and opera not responding

azurin

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Hello,

For almost a week now I have been experiencing problems with both firefox and opera browsers. However, they do not react the same way. Firefox takes an awful time to load any page that uses java scripts, while Opera simply can't load anything at all. Windows Internet Explorer still works fine though, and for now I'm using Firefox Nightly which seems to do the job, but I'd still like to know why Firefox and Opera (especially the latter) won't work properly. I've tried a few suggestions elsewhere and scanned my pc with anti-malware programs (malwarebytes, adwcleaner and hitman pro), yet this hasn't led me anywhere. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

azurin

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Good news!...Or well, sort of, it feels like progress at least.

First of all, I already run Firefox let's say...nearly at its purest form, the only things installed on it are two plugins, shockwave flash and VLC media player. I installed different versions of flash and found out that a three years-old version,10.2.152.26, works without causing any browser-freezing. (even though the browser tells me the version is old and vulnerable. I could take that as an offense if I were a 90 years old man...!) I tried several versions of flash, ranging from 12 to 11.2, to no avail. I could still continue to try older versions of the program, but it might as well tell me that I am running quite an old version of flash.

By the way, maybe I should mention a detail I am not quited accustomed to yet. I am now running my pc on windows 7 ''64 bits''. I have found some versions of flash mentionning that after their name. However, they seemed to be relied more to Linux than anything else. (tar.gz compressed files, which I've seen only on Ubuntu - I toyed a bit with this OS a few years ago.) Could this help?

Anyway, thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate!