• Cache stored on Hard Drive

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Cache stored in Memory

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Nakkiel

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
With the cache stored on the hard drive Firefox initially starts up slightly faster and the first time (in that session) you load a website it loads faster.

The advantage of memory is once you visit a web site it loads almost instantly and after you load a site it's sub-pages seem to load very fast even the first time. Every time you exit Firefox it resets though.. so next time you start it it needs to completely reload them to memory.

7200 RPM (secondary) hard drive, 8 gig of very fast ram.

I'm confused by this question, temp internet files are stored on the hard-drive and are sent back and forth from the browser using the RAM using the OS. Firefox does not decide which part to get data from. RAM will always be faster to access than the hard-drive, but you can't tell a program to only use RAM (unless you create a RAM disk and use that for your temp files).

Nakkiel

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

lies

http://lifehacker.com/#!5687850/speed-up-firefox-by-moving-your-cache-to-ram-no-ram-disk-required

Firefox can't use both yet. They have stated on their site they are working on it, and the option is technically there and enabled by default, but it automatically uses hard drive instead of RAM if both are enabled. Again this is just the cache I'm talking about.

It stores files on the disk, but to get to the CPU, the files are read from the RAM not the disk directly. And this thing that Firefox does it create a RAM drive, which I also said was an option. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/289521-28-cpus-data-directly-hard-drives

The issue with using something like a web browser and a RAM cache is that a page request to check for a new page on the web server takes an infinite amount of time compared to whatever speed increase you would see from loading a file from RAM.