Floppy does not work after new mobo installation

jkadesjo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Hi!

After I built my new system I have had problems with getting my floppy disk drive to work. When I try to access it windows says that the floppy disk is not formatted. Sometimes I get an error message that says that there is an O/I error. I have checked that the flat cable is inserter correct. I have tried all four ways anyway. I have tried making some changes in BIOS. The only thing I have found that could make any difference is the option to enable/disable “boot up floppy seek”. I get the same error message either way. I have had the same problem with the three systems I have built.

How do I know witch one is the #1 pin location? I have used two cables just to make sure. The floppy is connected closest to the end of the cable that has the twist. Now I use the old floppy cable from my old system that’s has plugs in one of the holes on each side. This means the cable can’t be plugged in incorrectly. And yes the power cable is connected properly. I thought about if the floppy or cable is broken but it would be wired if the same problem occurred at the same time on two different systems.
Are you guys sure that there is no BOIS setting that can fix this?

/Johan

EPoX 8KHA+
Athlon XP 1800+
ATI Radeon 8500 Retail
IBM 120GXP
SB Live! Player 5.1

Arrow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
One post in one forum is all it takes.

Cheers.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

If you have the floppy cable on backwards the green light will stay lit. Double check the pins on the back of the floppy and be sure none are bent or broken. Try a different cable. In the bios be sure it the floppy is set to 1.44. You can also try going into the bios and chose reset configuration date to yes (This will clear CMOS settings). Then reenter the BIOS and select set BIOS defaults and reboot. When you try it be sure to try several different floppies. Also be sure you haven't broken the metal piece on a floppy off in the drive. If none of that works I would buy another floppy.

Revenant

G

an easy way to work out which way your floppy should be plugged in is as follows.
plug the cable into the mobo withe the red stripe on the same side as the ide cables. and then plug it into your floppy the opposite way round to which the ide's are plugged.. :)

4Ryan6

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
Make absolutely positive that the red side of the cable is on Pin 1 at the MB connector, the cable twist is always at the floppy drive, if you plug it in and the same thing happens flip the cable over and plug it back in at the floppy drive. If it happens no matter how its plugged in at the floppy, you've got either a bad cable or floppy, also if you take the floppy out of the machine so you can see on the circuit board that the cable connector is mounted on there is either a 1 somewhere or a small triangle designating #1 pin, and even though the cable appears to only be able to plug in one way it can be reversed. Everything you've said happens when the cable is backwards.