Folder permissions - I want to do what I want with my files!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jneedler

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
How can I reorganize / read / write / move / unlock and basically do whatever the heck I want with my files and folders in Win7? It is my computer, I am the only user, and yet when I create a folder, the stupid Windows locks it and won't let me save stuff in the folder, or access stuff in the folder, etc, etc.

What do I have to do to get back control of my computer?

Bill Gates I hate you!!!!!!!!!

HAL 10000

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013

I have a similar problem on many files and folders in Windows 7. I do not know the solution; however, I have been working on it for a week and have an opinion. The basic default in Windows 7 assigns ownership to Trusted Installer. This default must be changed to my user account, but I do not know how to do that. Otherwise many NTFS permissions have to be changed manually, and sometimes I cannot do that. The Trusted Installer default was given to me intentionally, free of charge. It is a security feature that protects me from viruses, malware, etc., that might take over my computer. It is so good that it protects me from myself. Unfortunately it does not protect me from Windows 7. Fortunately I remember that Big Brother knows what is best for me. :(

Richman_32

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Don't know if this helps but I couldn't figure out one time why I couldn't delete a file or write to it, change the name or anything and kept asking me to contact the administrator who created it. I was in the admin account and even also logged into the hidden admin account with the same result. Then figured out finally that it was a shared folder in the Public directory and when I went to the originating directory location I had no problems. May be a simple rookie type mistake that I shouldn't have made but I don't remember anything apparent reminding me that it was is essence, not a shortcut and didn't even act like a shortcut but was more like a pointer to the original file that did not have all the same access ability.

HAL 10000

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
I have tried these free applications: NTFS PermissionsTools(x64) from DBC Studio and MoveOnBoot from EMCO. NTFS does give permission to me! MoveOnBoot deletes many third party programs, but no help with Trusted Installer.

ebob2k

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
This is not a true solution to this problem, it is just a workaround:

I had a similar file-save problem on a friend's Win7 system after an older 32-bit program, Sidekick 98, had been installed, without complaints, in the x86 folder.

It was unable to save any of the changes/additions to its Contacts, but there were no error messages saying that the data was not saved; the saved data just wasn't there when we closed & reopened the program and went back to check it.

I was able to do a quick 'fix' to get his contact database useable for him by uninstalling that program then reinstalling it in the root of C:. That allowed the data saves, but there must be an easy fix to allow saves by just this program, installed in the x86 folder, without compromising the system's security.

Rayzor65

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014

Rayzor65

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
First of all part of the problem is that you are using to different products for anti-virus as they may conflict with each other and as far as there may be more windows products out there it is because they are much cheaper to purchase and not everybody can afford a mac and the reason there cheaper is because there just not as good as Mac products. When did you ever here of a Mac getting a virus, Windows is an inferior product and much easier to hack and manipulate code, but as others have said I would move the folder to users folder and you should be able to do the things you want

shadowguide

Estimable
Feb 23, 2014

I found AN answer here;
http://superuser.com/questions/204909/cant-delete-folder-and-i-am-admin-you-need-permission-to-perform-this-action
It involves editing a small batch file.
Just in case it is ever taken down, Since it is a quote of a blog that has already been taken down, here is the pertinent answer.
I am not sure why this happens but there is a workaround.

http://blog.bluetoad.net/?p=43

Just in case this user blog is taken down someday I have quoted his/her solution below:

To take control of the folder containing the undeletable create a text file called “delete.bat” and add the following lines to it:

SET DIRECTORY_NAME="C:\Locked Directory"
TAKEOWN /f %DIRECTORY_NAME% /r /d y
ICACLS %DIRECTORY_NAME% /grant administrators:F /t
PAUSE
You will need to change the directory path to match your requirements e.g. “C:\Locked Directory” to “C:\Delete Me”.

Right click on the file “delete.bat” select “Run As Administrator” and you should now have full control of the directory and all sub directories meaning you can do what you wish with them.

share|improve this answer
answered Oct 29 '10 at 17:45

Sahil

Status
Not open for further replies.