Folder permissions - I want to do what I want with my files!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jneedler

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
How can I reorganize / read / write / move / unlock and basically do whatever the heck I want with my files and folders in Win7? It is my computer, I am the only user, and yet when I create a folder, the stupid Windows locks it and won't let me save stuff in the folder, or access stuff in the folder, etc, etc.

What do I have to do to get back control of my computer?

Bill Gates I hate you!!!!!!!!!

jneedler

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Don't people recommend NOT to turn this off?

And besides, even if I turn it off ... it's not the 'messages' about changes that I'm concerned with. Even if I turn off the messages and warnings, I don't think that's going to allow me to make a new folder and then save something inside it.

Thanks, but I just don't think that answer will do what I'm looking for.

The_Prophecy

Distinguished
May 16, 2006

So, exactly what files or folders are you trying to manipulate here? I'm running Windows 7 with UAC on and I'm not having problems manipulating any of the files on my system.

Oh, and Bill Gates sends his love.

jneedler

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
I opened Windows Explorer, navigated to the folder "program files (x86)" on the C drive, and made a folder called "Games", where I thought I could dump all the games I want to add (silly me). I tried to download a game, and the folder "Games" that I had just created, was locked and I was not allowed to write in it.

This has happened before with other folders that I have made. I want to be able to make folders and organize things (even move existing system folders) so I can find them easier. Crazy, I know! But I figured I paid for the stupid system ... I ought to be able to organize it how I want, right?

Bill Gates can bleeepty bleeep my bleeeping bleeeeeeeeeeeeepp!

The_Prophecy

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
If you're having problems with a folder that you created, I suggest you do as jonmor said above and try turning UAC off. Even if you don't think it will help, try it anyway. You might be surprised.

Regarding organizing the folder structure as you see fit, what happens if you accidentally move the system32 folder under the Windows directory into C:\Windows\system? With a flaky mouse or over-sensitive laptop touchpad, it's certainly possible, and the end result is a computer that's unable to boot and very annoying to sort out. If you're referring strictly to user created folders, I see your point, but accidents like I mentioned above can and do happen. And if it happened to you, you wouldn't be so inclined to censor those choice words you have for Bill Gates.

jneedler

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010

Jessica - I have McAfee and Symantec virus and firewall. I suppose it would be possible that some kind of virus hitched a ride on the thumbdrive I used to install them, but I got them off the internet using a Mac, so I don't see that as very likely (used a Mac to download both programs off the internet and loaded them on my computer before connecting to the net).

I believe that I am an administrator (I'm sure I would have set it up that way if the install gave me an option, but I don't recall) - but I looked for User Accounts in the control panel and it wasn't there. =/ I'm still trying to learn Windows 7 (only had it for a few days, and after work I don't get much time on my computer), so you'll have to bear with me as I re-learn everything on Windows.

Regardign User Account Control - it doesn't just keep ME froming moving / changing stuff, it keeps other programs (even viruses and malware) from doing the same thing, right? I'm just trying to make sure I understand all of the implications before I possibly make my computer vulnerable to stuff.

Thanks everyone for the time and replies!

The_Prophecy

Distinguished
May 16, 2006

Basically, yes. UAC will stop malware from doing the same thing without your approval. Though I must point out that the idea behind UAC was not just for the security benefit, but also to make people stop and think about what they are doing on their computer, rather than blindly clicking Yes or OK on every single dialog box they are presented with.

I'm not specifically targeting you when I say this jneedler, but 90% of all computer "problems" (viruses included) are actually user error. If people didn't have such an itchy trigger finger, the online world would be a much safer place, and I would probably be out of a job.

wallyinnc

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010

1) be careful with what you download. There are less viruses for mac because there are less Macs out there. But if you downloaded anything that contained a virus in the, it doesn't matter how you downloaded it, the virus would be there

2) Put your "Games" folder in the folder with your User name under "Users". You should have full control over it there.
Indeed you paid for a license to use the Software (you don't own it, but I don't want to go there), but there are safeguards built into it to avoid that you make your system unusable or unstable as The_Prophecy stated.

3) I would not turn off UAC.

jneedler

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010

Ummm .... wow. Either I was really in a HUGE hurry when I checked the control panel, or I was half asleep, or I'm just an idiot (you choose). Anyway, I found the User Accounts, and yes I am an administrator, and the only user on the computer.

The programs I downloaded were direct copies of the software off of a trusted site, so I have no doubts about the files I downloaded. I am sure it would have been possible for something to piggyback unseen on the thumbdrive, but I just don't think that's as likely.

Soooo ..... nobody know how I can add a folder to "Program Files" and then put files in that folder? Let alone actually rearranging some of the current file structures that make no sense to me. I'm sure it took a real 'genius-iac' to come up with the folders "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)".

So far I've seen suggested:
a) turn off UAC, or
b) put the folder in Users

Option A is strongly anti-recommended by several people (not just in this thread, but others I've read)
Option B is .... well, an option, but I know myself, and I will forget because that makes no sense, and then I won't know where to find it ... just being honest. When I look for Programs I have saved I will expect to find them in, oh, I don't know ... maybe the Programs Folder? I just don't think that is too much to ask when I actually paid for Windows, instead of opting for the much cheaper (free stolen) version.

The_Prophecy

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Just to be clear about the UAC suggestion... turn it off temporarily to see if that is causing the problem. If it's not the culprit, turn it back on. Then tell us what happened so we stop asking you to turn it off.

wallyinnc

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
jneedler, I missed that you are talking about where programs install, is that correct?
Well, 64 bit programs will install under c:\Program Files and 32 bits under c:\Program Files (x86) by default. Many programs ask you where you want to install them and then you can change it. If you try to move them after installation, they almost for sure won't work anymore.

if you want to change the default location for programs to install you have to do a registry change: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/39689-program-files-directory-change-default-installs.html

Please backup your registry first and if you are not comfortable making registry changes I wouldn't do it. You can end up with a very expensive paperweight... :)

jneedler

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010

Well, turning off UAC worked. So, now what? Do I just leave it off, or turn it on and then have to turn it on/off everytime I want to save something in Program Files?

The_Prophecy

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Interesting.... so just to make sure I'm clear on this, turning UAC on will not let you manipulate any files in the Program Files directory at all? Or does it prompt you to allow the change first?

Now it should darken the screen when the prompt appears, but if the cursor focus moves from the Explorer window before the prompt shows up, the screen does seem to stay lit, and the prompt only shows up on the task bar. Once you click on it (look for the shield icon in the task bar), does the screen then darken and present you with the prompt?

If not, and it's simply locking you out, you can always leave UAC off. Doing so won't directly make your system less secure, you just have to be more careful about your computing habits.

jneedler

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Turning on UAC will not let me save files to a folder that I created in the Program Files folder. I didn't try moving stuff that was already in it. No prompt, no option ... won't allow it. The screen does not darken.

sminlal

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
What program are you running that doesn't let you save files?

Remember that the purpose of UAC is to REMOVE administrative privileges from your session until a program specifically needs them. Then you get prompted so that you know some program is trying to do something out of the ordinary.

Not all programs are smart enough to ask for privileges - the ones that aren't won't be able to save to admin-protected folders. To get them to work you'll have to start them by right-clicking and choosing "Run As Administrator".

As an example, with UAC turned on, a Command Prompt or PowerShell window will never have admin privileges unless you start them using "Run As Administrator".

Ijack

Distinguished

Try the following:

1. Create the folder.
2. Right-click, select "Properties" then select the "Security" tab.
3. Click "Advanced" then click "Change Permissions".
4. Untick "Include inherited permissions..." and click "Remove" in the resulting dialog.
5. Click "OK". Keep clicking "OK" to close all dialogs. Ignore any warnings.
6. Follow the same procedure to open the "Security" tag and click "Continue".
7. Click "Add" and type "SYSTEM" as the object name. Click "OK".
8. Tick "Full control" and click "OK". Ignore the warning (just keep clicking "Continue" till it goes away).
9. Repeat the procedure to give full control to "Administrators" and to your username.
10. Click "OK" to close the "Properties" dialog.

You should now be able to create, copy, delete, save, etc. files to this folder without any warnings.

Needless to say, you should take great care to do this only with the folder that you have created. Messing with the permissions of any system folders could leave you with an unbootable system. The real answer is to not create user folders within system folders.

jneedler

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010

Well, tried but that (#4) is not an option for me. I have Windows 7 if that makes a difference (not sure which system you were referencing).

Still can't make folders and write to them - tried to install iTunes today and couldn't put it in the folder "iTunes" that I created in the "Program Files" folder.

Still not sure why Microsoft thinks they know better than me what folders or programs I want to put where on my computer. Might as well build cars and make them all red because that's what the owner of the factory likes. Maybe it's time to convert to one of those 'other' OS like a Mac, or some version of Linux, or something .... having Windows is useless if I can't do what I want to do with it. It's not like I'm trying to hack into the CIA or anything crazy, just want to be able to make folders and then put stuff in them. Earth shattering, really, I know ....

Ijack

Distinguished

I tested this on a Windows 7 system. Option #4 should be available if you are signed on with an Administrator account. If not (I presume you mean the option is greyed out?) then it's something to do with your setup rather than Windows 7 per se.

Obviously you won't be able to do this if you don't have Administrator access to your PC, but that's as it should be.

As to your analogy to cars, I think it would be more accurate to say "might as well say that I can't put the oil in the petrol tank if I want to". There are good reasons to protect some folders from normal user intervention.

Status
Not open for further replies.