1. ...went to the Japanese site you linked me to for my device: http/search.sony.jp/all/search.x?nccharset=81C9D314&q=hdr-cx520&ie=SJIS
2. ...used Google Translate to get the Japanese word for 'handbook', which is what the document for my device is called on the English site.
English site: https/docs.sony.com/release/HDRCX520V_handbook.pdf
3. ...used the 'Find' function in my browser to find this word in the Japanese site, and found it.
Japanese site: http/www.sony.jp/ServiceArea/impdf/pdf/41493520M-JP.pdf
4. ...went to the same page number in the Japanese handbook as the information is on in the English handbook (this step could be skipped).
5. ...used Google Translate to get the Japanese term for 'Media Format', which is the title of the section in the English handbook that was relevant to my query.
6 ...searched for this term in the Japanese handbook using the browser 'Find' function, and found it.
7. ...followed the instructions in the Japanese handbook, matching the words visually.
Thanks for your help!