Former UK PM Killed Steve Jobs' Knighthood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
What a load of tosh, a knighthood can only be given to a British subject, there is a minor honour that can be given to "Foreigners" called Knight of the British Empire, this does not allow someone to be called "Sir" the true designation for a knight of the realm, instead it is noted after the name as KBE. And only given in rare circumstances.

The honour is approved by the queen after a recommendation from from the foreign sectary, and only in circumstances where an individual has done remarkable work in the interests of the British people or a specific industry with the UK, such as the case was with Steven Speilberg (Bob Hope and Spike Milligan are both British subjects and received a full British Knighthood) Speilberg was given his knighthood for his huge contributions to the British film industry.

Jobs would never be offered an Knighthood, he has done nothing for the UK, he doesn't manufacture here, he doesn't share technological knowledge with the UK, in fact all he does here is sell products, Bill Gates would be far more likely to get one and he wont be offered one either

This is just another media spin from Apple and as usual full of crap

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]princeofdreams[/nom]What a load of tosh, a knighthood can only be given to a British subject, there is a minor honour that can be given to "Foreigners" called Knight of the British Empire, this does not allow someone to be called "Sir" the true designation for a knight of the realm, instead it is noted after the name as KBE. And only given in rare circumstances.The honour is approved by the queen after a recommendation from from the foreign sectary, and only in circumstances where an individual has done remarkable work in the interests of the British people or a specific industry with the UK, such as the case was with Steven Speilberg (Bob Hope and Spike Milligan are both British subjects and received a full British Knighthood) Speilberg was given his knighthood for his huge contributions to the British film industry.Jobs would never be offered an Knighthood, he has done nothing for the UK, he doesn't manufacture here, he doesn't share technological knowledge with the UK, in fact all he does here is sell products, Bill Gates would be far more likely to get one and he wont be offered one eitherThis is just another media spin from Apple and as usual full of crap[/citation]

i am speechless to how much WIN you just said ... "STANDING OVATION" ..... seriously

DBarry

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
[citation][nom]princeofdreams[/nom]Bob Hope and Spike Milligan are both British subjects and received a full British Knighthood)[/citation]

Bob Hope left Eltham as a child. He was an American citizen when he received the honorary knighthood.

The fact that jobs had done nothing for the UK is irrelevant in this context; the point is that the Labour Government wanted to use Jobs to boost its flagging popularity.

G

It's just an unsubstantiated claim in a newspaper well-known for being ant-labour.

Since there is no way that Jobs would be given an honourary Knighthood (what exactly has he done for Britain?) then there was no "possible knighthood" for Brown to block.

It's just all bollocks and a non-story; it's just politics as normal from an anti-left newspaper - nothing to do with technology here.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007

Also, Spike Milligan was Irish. He was declared stateless in the '60s and took Irish citizenship (his dad was Irish).

G

[citation][nom]princeofdreams[/nom]Bill Gates would be far more likely to get one and he wont be offered one either[/citation]

Bill Gates already has one (an honorary knighthood)

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Really? Why does Steve Jobs need knighthood? Or why does he deserve it? I didn't know just being CEO or something, made you eligible.

pale paladin

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
I couldn't say it any better than princeofdreams if I tried. Very well said.

on another note, I cannot believe Tom's would post this kind of Apple propaganda bullshit. cmon guys.

samely

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]pale paladin[/nom]I couldn't say it any better than princeofdreams if I tried. Very well said. on another note, I cannot believe Tom's would post this kind of Apple propaganda bullshit. cmon guys.[/citation]
You can't believe it? Come on now. I'm sure you've come around here long enough.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]bejabbers[/nom]I didn't know that creating a cult made someone eligible for knighthood.[/citation]

I didn't know you were qualified by the British government to pass judgment?

G

i think Steve would prefer his devotees address him as his holiness, where as everyone else can call him Sith Lord Darth Jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.