FPS Limit Program with a limit toggle?

DeliveryGodNoah

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
I'm wondering if there is a program that let's you limit the FPS like Rivatuner, but also lets you set a hotkey to toggle the limit on and off at will.

My reason for wanting it is because while playing Fallout 4, with a FPS limit loading times between areas is upwards of nearly 3 minutes, but without no FPS limit it loads in about 30 seconds.

I have a mod that toggles Fallout 4's vsync, but that introduces input latency that Rivatuner otherwise doesn't introduce, so I'm looking for the best of both worlds because otherwise an uncapped FPS limit in Fallout 4 causes things to go a bit wonky.

Solution
I'm not too sure exactly how it works either but my guess is how Vsync works and how it delays frames to prevent tearing by holding onto a frame until a complete new frame is ready and as a result input actions are delayed with it. By capping fps to 59 (on a 60hz monitor for example) you're letting Vsync know it doesn't need to hold frames because it's before the monitor's refresh cycle.

NightAntilli

Estimable
Jun 12, 2014
If you have an AMD card you can use their own software to do it.

For nVidia cards, you have to use a 3rd party tool like MSI Afterburner (the included RTSS supports this feature) or bandicam.

DeliveryGodNoah

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016

How do I use RTSS to toggle the limit at will in game?

Does Bandicam allow that?

boju

Distinguished
This might help https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/3smhd8/psa_hotkeyed_fps_limiter_a_convenient_fix_for_the/

Another alternative is limit fps 1 frame less than your monitor's refresh and turn vsync on. Hopefully that will help with load time and being limited 1 frame less shouldn't get input lag from vsync.

DeliveryGodNoah

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016

I actually tried that Reddit post, but when I pressed the Scroll Lock key (the hotkey the script comes with) all it does is move the window to where my mouse is and doesn't toggle the limit.

boju

Distinguished
Ok, ill just go through the instructions and see if you've done it right.

Run Rivatuner, the list box selected as global

Fallout.ahk file in notepad with the script commands. This file can be placed anywhere, so for convenience, save it to the desktop. Remember to save as / all types with the extension ahk. Once done this file can be executed, launch the file as administrator. If it worked you should have an H icon in system tray.

If it's still not working, it could have something to do with (Are you on Win10?) fullscreen optimisations Win10 introduced after this post was made. If you have Game Bar disabled, full screen optimisations should already be disabled but to be sure, there is a check box to disable it under the compatibility tab of fallout4's exe.

DeliveryGodNoah

Commendable
Dec 13, 2016
So I ended up using Bandicam, as I can hotkey a toggle there, and it works well enough. I also took your advice, boju, and set framerate to 1 below my actual refresh rate and input lag is very minimal, and there are few, if any, screen tears.

Er, if I might ask though, why does setting it one below the refresh rate reduce input latency? I'm not sure I understand it.

boju

Distinguished
I'm not too sure exactly how it works either but my guess is how Vsync works and how it delays frames to prevent tearing by holding onto a frame until a complete new frame is ready and as a result input actions are delayed with it. By capping fps to 59 (on a 60hz monitor for example) you're letting Vsync know it doesn't need to hold frames because it's before the monitor's refresh cycle.

Solution