Fully Modular Upgradeable CPU+GPU+RAM+HDDs Gaming Laptop - Does it exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

derangedindian

Estimable
Aug 28, 2014
The title says it all, money is of (little) object. I want a gaming laptop that is fully modular, where when the time comes, I can easily snap out the old CPU and GPU, RAM, hell, maybe even the SCREEN, and replace it all with new parts. No desoldering, heavy tool use, etc. A gaming laptop with customizability and upgradeability which rivals that of desktop PCs, with the same level of ease. Does such a mythical device exist? Or is the world not ready for such an awesome device? I already have an extremely powerful gaming desktop, but I want a laptop which will allow me to game on the go, and be upgradeable for years. I am not looking to spend above 2 grand. Let me know right away if what I'm asking is along the lines of asking, "Can I get a unicorn, who sells them?"

Solution
For CPU, you can only change a CPU for another CPU of the same socket type. So there is no universal modular laptop for this.

Ram can be easily changed with HDD in almost any laptop

GPU is tricky. some gaming laptop has their GPU integrated into the motherboard. others have it into a PCIE card form. High-end gaming laptop normally comes with PCIE GPU. not integrated chipset.

viewtyjoe

Estimable
Jul 28, 2014
Not gonna happen. The market doesn't exist at the level required to support the costs of designing a fully upgradeable laptop, so there aren't any and there probably won't ever be any.

pierrerock

Estimable
Jul 4, 2014
For CPU, you can only change a CPU for another CPU of the same socket type. So there is no universal modular laptop for this.

Ram can be easily changed with HDD in almost any laptop

GPU is tricky. some gaming laptop has their GPU integrated into the motherboard. others have it into a PCIE card form. High-end gaming laptop normally comes with PCIE GPU. not integrated chipset.

Solution

vagrantsoul

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
you can look at sites such as xoticpc.com and such which allows you to build out customized builds...as for cpu, ram, hdd's - those are all pretty much upgradable with most laptops (cpu and ram limited by mb), screen is a bit harder... possibly if you can find a panel that fits in the framing and follows the same connections and power requirements...

the real problem is getting a high end system that isn't huge, for under 2k.

of course i could be totally wrong

G

Sagers are totally upgradeable (not even the GPU is soldered), the hard thing is buying the components, I once emailed them and I was told that I could handle it to them and pay them the GPU + a fee and they would upgrade it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.