Function keys for keyboard backlight

iDeandre

Estimable
Sep 2, 2015
Hi,

I recently purchased an asus laptop, the model number is K501LX-EB71. The issue I am having is with the back-light function keys. The FN F3 keys is supposed to dim the brightness on the keyboard while the FN F4 key is supposed to brightness the keys. Instead the FN F4 key launches a tab in internet explorer or opens a new tab in the chrome browser. While the FN F3 key just tells me how to select default apps in windows 10. I have tried multiple ATK packages which is supposed to help the keyboard keys function but none of them work. also none of the ATK packages actually change the driver on the keyboard. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

You need to uninstall and reinstall the driver of the keyboard.

1. Press Windows + R on your keyboard then once the Run box is open type in devmgmt.msc and click OK
2. Once in Device Manager look for keyboard and expand it.
3. Right click on whats on the bottom of Keyboard it should say HID Keyboard Device then select uninstall and click OK
4. Restart the PC after that and that should reinstall the driver for the keyboard.
5. If still the same download the latest ATK Package from Asus support site which you'll the link below.

https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/K501LX/HelpDesk_Download/

Also here's the manual for your laptop as this might help you as well.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/K501LX/0409_E9926_A.pdf

iDeandre

Estimable
Sep 2, 2015

Thanks for the reply. unfortunately the driver just reverted to an older driver from 2006, I updated to the latest atk package and still the issue persists

danteslo

Commendable
Aug 11, 2016

Hi,
I have exactly the same behavior with my Asus K501LX. I've tried a lot of combinations with the drivers, all in vein. Since it's been a while, have you found a solution to this problem?

Thanks a lot in advance for any hints.

iDeandre

Estimable
Sep 2, 2015

Luckily I was still under warranty and I sent my laptop to Asus for damage to the hinge. I mentioned the issue and when I got it back it was fixed. I think its a hardware issue, the backlight must not have been installed properly.