G750JW bought yesterday, battery won't fully charge.

jrmurph3

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Purchased an Asus G750JW model from Best Buy yesterday. Got home with it, booted it up and immediately noticed specks of what I thought was dirt on the screen. I tried to wipe it away but no physical matter was moved. Looks like they were dead or stuck pixels that happened to be fixed when I swiped across them. I still have one pixel unresponsive and black in the same area. So I figured I'd ignore it for a bit and then I realized my battery isn't getting any more charged than 88%. I figured that maybe this laptop, being a gaming laptop, is pulling so much power its drawing it all from the charger and not charging the battery any. I can buy that. I left it overnight in sleep mode just to wake it up at 88% battery life left.

I just got it down to 8% battery and shut it down and have it plugged in to the charger. Maybe that will clear some battery calibration up. Any suggestions to fix this? I mean, day 1 of owning something and you have dead pixels and battery issues is probably good enough to return it and maybe I should. However, I would like to learn more about these battery issues for future reference.

Thanks.

jrmurph3

Honorable
May 5, 2012

The overnight charge should definitely have had the battery maxed. It is a brand new laptop.

I should return it, but I don't feel like driving across town, but I don't feel fair accepting physical defects with a product I paid full price for. I'm returning it.

Anyway, on the battery side of things, these batteries do have a shelf life, right? I assume its possible that I got a unit that has been sitting on the shelf for an extended amount of time.

jrmurph3

Honorable
May 5, 2012

I agree. I asked directly if it was "new, in box" and was told "yes."

The black Asus tamper sticker was intact and I can confirm that it didn't look as if it had been opened before. Everything looked in place, every component that was included was sealed. I'm pretty sure I got a new one. Its just a faulty new product and I happened to be on the bad end of it. Unfortunately, I was told it was the last one in stock. I'll take my money and go elsewhere.

Any suggestions? Are the online custom shops worth looking into in terms of reliability, warranties, etc?

jrmurph3

Honorable
May 5, 2012

Didn't think about that. I've been lucky up until now with computers and components. So far, one bad HDD and one defective laptop.

Ok, I'm not seeing a build date. Where did you see yours at in BIOS?

jrmurph3

Honorable
May 5, 2012

That's actually where I've bought everything else at. I rather buy a complete system from somewhere I can easily return it to in case of issues such as this. I don't like shipping things like this. I used to work for USPS and I've seen what FedEx and UPS can do, too.

jrmurph3

Honorable
May 5, 2012

Unfortunately, I live too far from one just to go look at stuff when I get an itch :p

The best I have access to is a Best Buy. I have never really had a lot of hope, but I work with what I have.

jrmurph3

Honorable
May 5, 2012

I'm impressed with it. What differentiates the newegg model and the best buy model is 12GB of RAM vs the 8GB that the best buy model comes with. That, and the warranties.

jrmurph3

Honorable
May 5, 2012

Alright. I also have AMI and its not showing up. That's odd. I did see the s/n sticker on the bottom of the unit that had "9/2013" so I'm going to assume that's when it was built.