GameStop: No Medal of Honor for Military Shops

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostyfireball

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
"GameStop will not be selling the upcoming Call of Duty from Electronics Arts out of respect for those who have served or are serving in the armed forces."

You might want to change that to:
GameStop will not be selling the upcoming Medal of Honor from Electronics Arts out of respect for those who have served or are serving in the armed forces.

G

Keep the game as it is. Americans are shot in most action films, so why cry over some pixels being shot?

furylicious

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Yeah, read this article earlier today on another site. I think that games technically are a little different than movies and books, in the fact that you control your characters to kill simulated American soldiers. Yes, same general concept, but to actually manipulate your characters to kill US soldiers, I can see how that got a little touchy. But if you want my honest opinion, what gives us the right to shoot at other simulated people in general? Like hispanics in Resident Evil 4? Or the French in Battlefield Bad Company 2? Or what about poor zombies that have no choice but to be man-eating undead? :(

Honestly, it's a double standard, but since it IS a military-base, out of respect, sure, I can let this one pass.

Btw, don't be so harsh on Jane, CoD, MoH, not the same, for sure, but honest mistake I'm sure.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I think people need to lighten up, its a game, just a game. Stop blaming any and all type of media on societies existing problems, thats just an easy scapegoat. If you have trouble seperating fact from fiction maybe it is you that has the problem.

alphadark

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Why not just call the enemy team in the game "OpFor" in multiplayer?

It isn't going to change the game mechanics.

Usually war games wait at least a generation to do this, so the wounds have time to heal.

hokkdawg

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Oh, way to go. Wait till Obama brings all the troops home, then decide to restrict your inventory. If anything, they are only losing exposure to the 50,000 "non-combat" troops left over there.

nightcrawl3r

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Why are they hating on Medal of Honor so much? They should be proud of people playing it because if the gamers play it they will realize how tough it is for US Military over there. So the next time a gamer see a guy back from Afghanistan, the gamer will be able to tell him "Great Job" and appreciate what him and his fellows has done for the country.

guitarpeggio

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]By censoring a game, you're fighting against what those soldiers are fighting to protect.[/citation]

^This +1000

unlicensedhitman

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
In the game, you can die as many times you want, you can shoot your retarded teammates without any real life threaten penalties, blow stuff up with the vehicles, so I don't think there's a problem with that.

sactownbwoy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
I am a Marine and I think the controversy over this is stupid, so do my buddies that have been to Afghanistan or are right there now. I wouldn't buy anything from Gamestop anyways. I would buy online or just walk into the PX/BX/NEX and buy it. People need to stop being so stupid.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare was set in the middle east, fighting terrorists. A whole platoon of Marines were killed when that nuke went off and they couldn't get away. Where was the outrage at that.

The people who have a problem with this game probably aren't even in the military or even have relatives in the military. It is more of people wanting to control what others have access to just because it is offensive to them.

cp8427

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
This is just silly. So it's okay to make games about killing jews, germans, japanese, etc., but not Americans? I don't like where this is going....

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
Hmm, what about freedom of creation? I know that this is not worded in the constitution but would be covered under things like freedom of speech (keep in mind that it doesnt cover just what you say but your ideas...). Also they sell other games where US and other countries' soldiers get shot at by numerous "terrorist" groups (so just because they have named them Taliban it makes it wrong all of a sudden?). I understand that some service men and women might not like the idea, but firstly it is reality (sorry if Im telling you something you didnt know), secondly what are they going to do; start blocking movies with the taliban in it? I say either dont sell it at all or sell it to everyone.

quixilver1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
Call of Duty (all of them) allow you to kill US troops. Battlefield (all of them) allow you to kill US troops. Does it matter that WW2 is over? Does it matter (modern warfare/combat) that the opposing forces are just a renamed terrorist/ military group? Does anybody remember a game called America's Army? You are (somehow) always the good guy. Would it be that hard to program this into the game to grease the squeaky wheel? Why is MOH getting all the flack when there are several games on the market, and upcoming games that allow the same US soldier killing? Are people unaware of the other games, or is this just another case of the media bandwagon?

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
That's the thing though. The game is not about killing US soldiers or actually being the taliban as part of the story. You can just play them in multiplayer mode. That's it. Just like playing as nazis in any WWII game or as terrorists in CS. That makes this totally stupid.

Some of the stuff I saw that was the outcry were saying that basically the object of the game was to play as the taliban against the US. That's just plain wrong.

johnyar

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
That's ridiculous, I'm currently in the military and I can say that AAFES most certainly does not speak nor is even aware of the feelings of 90% of soldiers. For those of you who don't know what AAFES is, it's the retailer for all of the different branches of the military. They supply our gas, and all the BX/PX/NEX/MCX's (Walmart wannabes). They don't supply the food though. Anyways, ever since I was a kid playing counterstrike I've "fought" on both sides of the game and felt no real connection to my emotions of current conflicts, and after being deployed for a year and a half in the infantry my feelings have not changed. In a game there are always the "good" guys and the "bad" guys. Just because a game's characters are more closely related to actual events doesn't change anything. It's an odd and even interesting idea to have the perspective of the Taliban and I think it's a good addition to the game. I will buy MOH, even if I have to go off base to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.