Gaming Laptop Buying Decision - Advice & Opinions Welcome!

Audi0fix

Estimable
Mar 15, 2014
Alright, I've been going back and forth between my options and can't make up my mind. I need a gaming machine. I've already got a desktop so I'm aiming for a mobile gaming solution. I need some help from the Tom's community to weigh the pros and cons of each decision.

After 2 or 3 weeks of searching online I've come up with a few awesome deals to consider.

My main priority is gaming, but I'd love something portable enough to take to class. The Razer blade is just too damn expensive for the lower end GPU.

Option 1: MSI GS70 20d-229us + FREE 50" Flat screen TV
- $1549
- Pros: Lightweight/slim (I'll probably use it at school every now and then), It's pretty, 128g SSD, better battery life
- Cons: The GTX 765m is a little skimpy on performance judging from benchmarks, 17" is bigger than I'd like. 15.6" is ideal

Option 2: MSI GT60 Dominator-424
-$1299
-Pros: The GTX 870m is a power house and therefore more future-proofed, $250 less, 15.6" LCD
-Cons: Heavy & ugly, No free TV (Which I could use), Battery life not as good, 8g SSD

Option 3: (Different direction here) PS4 + a GTX 770 for my desktop (currently running a 560ti)
- Approx. $750
- Pros: Less cost, PS4 is actually lighter than the GT60, PS4 exclusives are enticing, a video card upgrade for my desktop still gets me my PC game fix, great for beer and console night
- Cons: No portable computing, Much less-portable gaming, Slave to buying $50-$60 console games, no free TV.

Thank for hearing me out! Any and all input is welcome... as long as it's productive.

A_ST0RMTROOP3R

Estimable
Mar 19, 2014
If you go for the MSI don't get the GS get the GT. I know the 50" TV is enticing but the GT is a much better laptop. I myself have been going through a new purchase research project. I finally purchased the GT70 from MSI and couldn't be happier. I was a console guy but I am not very impressed with the new ps4 or one. And decided to switch back to PC gaming. I would go with the GT60.

A_ST0RMTROOP3R

Estimable
Mar 19, 2014

I am in the military and I use it for my main PC. I take it with me quite a bit. The only thing is it won't fit in a normal backpack. I have a decent sized military bag that fits it nicely and I have no problem taking it places. I can say that I had a 15" laptop before this and the 17" is amazing compared to the smaller screen. I also hook it up to my tv to watch movies. Works amazingly. The only upgrade I would recommend is getting a SSD or mSATA drive for your operating system and maybe a few games or programs. It makes loading times much better. I purchased a samsung 840 evo mSATA 250gb and it made a world of difference. But you don't need to get it for the GT70 to preform well.

dedmiston11

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013

Lets say im in college, should i get the 15 or 17 inch laptop

Audi0fix

Estimable
Mar 15, 2014
@dedmiston11
The 17 inch is lighter. A little over 2 lbs lighter. The slim design will also make it easier to wield in your lap or on a desk. You'll require a bigger bag, yes, but the bag will be lighter. This of course only applies to the one I've listed on this page. In almost all other cases the 17" models are much bigger AND heavier. This 17" is the exception to the rule. Similar to the Razer Blade Pro. (It's actually lighter and slimmer)

I have a 13.3" HP and an 11" Mac book Air already. In most cases I'd recommend a 14" as the biggest you'd ever want to take to school. This is especially the case if you'll have auditorium classes with the fold over lap desk. Very small foot print. A 17" would not fit. In my case the portability factor is a forethought, not a priority. - Personal experience as a student & as a salesman who has sold laptops to 100s of students.