Get Acrobat button to work in Chrome & Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
We have an Adobe Acrobat form that has three embedded buttons - Pay online, Submit form, Print form. (A second form omits the pay button.) The pay button opens a link to an online payment site. The print button prints the form.
The submit button is supposed to open the users default email client and sent the form automatically to us. Well, it doesn't.
Adobe support says the problem lies with Chrome & Firefox using proprietary code to call the email client. Or as they put it, Chrome & Firefox do not support Adobe add-ins. (They don't play nicely with others in other words.)
I searched both Chrome & Firefox forums and support and they've known about this BUG since at least 2015 but have done nothing about it. Firefox won't even open a PDF form correctly; it just displays the document with no fields, lists, or drop-downs. I believe both use customized java script to to display PDFs instead of the standard Acrobat API calls.
I've tried both Adobe Acrobat and Foxit PhantomPDF and neither works in Chrome or Firefox. They do both work in Internet Explorer 11. Since we don't use IE12 or Edge, we have no idea if they work. I know, shocking that something from Microsoft follows a published standard.
I tried using Google Forms but that's strictly a linear app which does not allow multiple columns, buttons, text formatting or custom line spacing. It does allow hyperlinks referenced by text.
Anyway, does anyone know of a workaround or kludge?
Thank you.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If the user downloads the file, it will open in Adobe or Foxit Phantom. If they try to use it within Chrome or Firefox, it ain't gonna happen. We're trying to be customer friendly and not require the end user to dance a jig to make it work.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Unfortunately, neither Google Chrome nor Mozilla Firefox will correctly display Adobe Acrobat PDF documents. There are two options available.
First - Download the PDF form and complete it in Adobe Acrobat Reader;
Second - Use Internet Explorer (OGN!).
Both "solutions" below just call Acrobat or whatever your default PDF viewer is and downloads the form to it. Neither will open the form correctly natively.

Mozilla Firefox:
1) Open the Firefox Menu (three bars on right side of address bar)
2) Select Applications
3) Scroll down until you find "Portable Document Format (PDF)
4) In the Action drop down list select "Use Other"
5) Select Adobe Acrobat Reader
6) Close the tab.
Unfortunately, at least in my copy of FF52.0.2 it will NOT hold this setting. FLOG that does.

Google Chrome:
1) Open the Chrome menu (three dots on right side of address bar
2) Select Settings
3) Sccoll to the bottom of the page and select Advanced Settings
4) Scroll down to Privacy
5) Select Content Settings
6) Scroll to the bottom of the page and select PDF Documents - Open PDF files in the default PDF viewer application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS