Get kicked of of work wifi periodically.

davidmeyerfamily

Estimable
Mar 21, 2014
My Android and my coworker's iPhone both get kicked off of our work "guest" wifi once or twice a day. It requires a long and ridiculous password to get back on each time. The worst part about this is that when I get kicked, my Galaxy S Blaze 4g still shows I am on wifi, even though I am absolutely not. So if I try to go online or use an app that goes online, it will not do it, because it is not on wifi, but it thinks it is. Very petty and frustrating of the IT at my work, but I can't talk to them about this because they will not listen and are extremely dismissive and arrogant about it.

Ideally I want to have my phone automatically re-enter the password when the wifi goes out, but at least I wish the phone woud switch by itself to 4g when wifi goes out.

Help?

SteamingPenguin

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
Because it's a guest WiFi network, there are likely to be lots of people logging on and off as they come in and out of your work. E.g. lots of clients/devices.

There are generally 254 addresses available, and so when there are a large number of clients, you don't want all of the spaces getting full up.

To get around this you set the DHCP lease time to be short. What this does is renew the IP address of the devices connected to the network after a certain period of time. Usually it wouldn't be an issue, because it would be a long time, say days, so you would usually have disconnected from the network by that point.

However, if they've set it up badly (or deliberately even!), the lease time could be a day, or even less. This means you'll get disconnected by the router.

However, I'm no expert on this stuff, so I could be wrong. It could be the iPhones! I know I sometimes have issues with mine on public networks.

If it is the network, there's not much you can sort yourself unfortunately. Bug them some more!