gift of older model blackberry 9700

ringer8

Honorable
May 5, 2013
transfer verizon account(just using old basic "verizon wireless phone" to blackberry device (given to me by someone who no longer needs it blackberry 9700)

how do I do this I have not owned smart phone before
I need to get a new sim card...where?
I have blackberry disc and cords etc

I don't care about anything on old phone just want to have blackberry to have my phone number
I have a non-data phone plan ( i have other devices for that) so just phone/messaging...

verizon on line chat transcript....so can I or can i not put a new sim card in an AT&T blackberry and have my Verizon wireless account on it....It always seems like the only option when you talk to company is to buy new phone new contract etc..
can someone clarify with certainty...

Jasmine W.: Hello. Thank you for visiting Verizon Wireless, my name is Jasmine. I'm here to assist you with upgrading your existing phone or starting new service while taking advantage of our accessories promotions today. Where should we start?
You: i AM LOOKING TO SEE IF i CAN GET A VERIZON SIM CARD FOR A BLACKBERRY i WAS GIVEN
You: I have a verizon account
Jasmine W.: I'd be happy to assist you.
Jasmine W.: May I ask if your BlackBerry is a Verizon phone?
You: I entered the imei # 357360034712767
You: no it is not
You: it is AT&T
Jasmine W.: In order for the phone to work on the Verizon network, it needs to be a Verizon phone.

ringer8

Honorable
May 5, 2013
Thank you for the info but properly i believe my friend removed his sim card so I have no problem getting another one cost wise? the phone is labeled blackberry bold AT&T model(as opposed to Tmobile ) but with new sim that shouldn't matter?

is it locked if I put in new sim car? I can still ask my friend to "unlock" it if more is required.

I think I have everything I need except the easiest Verizon # it looks like 611 , then 3rd option.
again thank you so much for your patience...

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
If your contract is currently with TMobile, and the phone you got is with AT&T, the phone will need to be unlocked to work on the TMobile network. This is currently illegal to do yourself in the States, as of January 27th of this year actually. If his contract is over, they should unlock it for a fee. It's typically pretty cheap. If your current phone doesn't use a SIM card, then yes, you'll need to get one for the Blackberry. They're $10-15.

ringer8

Honorable
May 5, 2013
my account is with Verizon....How do I know if phone is locked??? phone turns on but and I see background and small msg that sim card needs to be inserted...and pop up error message about "permission" allowing some kind of plug in, does that become irrelevant with addition of sim card? or is that indicate it is "locked"
I was thinking that new sim card and call to Verizon would unlock it? Otherwise who am I (or does my friend have to do it?) calling to unlock...AT&T or my Verizon... Thanks to all...

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
Buy a SIM card. Put it in the phone. If it's locked it will say "locked" or "restricted" and you won't be able to use the phone.

Your friend, not you, will need to call At&T and ask about an unlock code.