Girl Arrested for Texting; Hides Phone in Butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

08nwsula

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Students are disrespectful and teachers have no backbones. Instead of ever solving a problem, teachers try to "reform" students, or simply ignore them all together and send them to an office for evaluation and reconciliation. It's all a big waste of time, money, and effort. Should the girl have been texting? no. should the teacher have called the police? no. If corporal punishment were still allowed, much of these problems wouldn't exist.

williamvw

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
*Lying* to the police over a cell phone after flagrant disregard for her teacher's instructions? Yeah, I'd say she had it coming. I'm the parent of two kids, and -- aside from the fact that I'd be monitoring my boys' cell usage in the first place -- I'd want them to get a little legal smack in the head for such atrocious behavior. Then I'd want someone to smack me for letting that situation develop in the first place.

You'd think the dad would confiscate the phone at that point, but, considering where it's been, maybe he just told the police to keep it. I would. Then again, maybe that'll be a new marketing ploy for teens... "The PerpPhone -- big on features but small enough to hide in your butt." Sure hope the camera function is disabled. Eww.

Icester

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
I think the article missed the point (or dramatized it) - the girl didn't commit a criminal act for texting, but for disrepect, discourtesy, defiance, and disruption (all apply to both the teacher and the police).

I do think that the teacher overreacted by calling police as its not a police matter. It should have been handled by the school. However, if that school is like most others I've seen, the school discipline process is completely ineffectual and the administration does not support the teachers - therefore, the teacher acted in the only possible way available to them to solve the problem.

I do think that the charges against the girl are entirely appropriate. Maybe a $298 fine, misdemeanor charge, and several day suspension will garner a little respect in the future - or at least some consideration!

A Stoner

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Personally, I think it is overboard to arrest a kid in class for being insubordinate. The problem though is that the teacher has no other option but to bring in the police, because the rest of the school staff are too progressive to actually punish the girl for the insubordination. If the teacher had done what was needed to bring the girl into line she would be charged with a crime or at the very least been disciplined herself by the very staff members that would not discipline the girl. Thus, the progressive position of of the staff has actually been the cause of this girl's excessive punishment, and likely was the cause of her insubordination.

Mr_Man

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
I agree with 08nwsula. Who's going to text and then talk back to the teacher about it if swats are a possibility?

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
Should texting be considered criminal? no.
[p]
Should complete refusal to cooperate with teachers? maybe
[p]
Should refusing to cooperate with police officers? probably
[p]
I've worked as a teacher before, and you don't have many enforcement tools at your disposal these days. Most kids are ok, but you have the few who will always defy authority. You can't spank them or physically force them to do anything, and I can understand the legal issues behind all that. However, what is a teacher left with to enforce the rules of the classroom? Some teachers can't even count on school administrators to support them in their disciplinary efforts anymore. So, it appears, calling the police/school resource officers is becoming a more popular option.
[p]
What tools can a teacher use? Let's look at the popular options:
Detention - maybe effective, but a 14-year-old girl will have to rely on parents to pick them up. Some parents are supportive, others not.
Docking grades - Please, this girl wouldn't cooperate with teachers or police. You think she cares about her grades? After all, daddy will just call, yell, fix everything, and then buy her a new car for when she turns 16.
Extra work - Again, she doesn't care about school. You can't make her do it.
Send to principal's office - Depends on how good/supportive the administration is. Some might suspend her or contact her parents. Bad ones will just send her right back to class.
[p]
Maybe this will finally send a message to kids that they should do what their teacher tells them or face serious consequences. These are tough issues that have arisen due to our society's development both legally and technologically. What's the answer? Meh, idk lol bbl jk;faoiejk

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
The title of this article is total bullshit. 'buttocks area' does not mean 'in butt'.

Thanks so much for the mental image of a 14 year-old shoving a phone up their ass. That is just indecent.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
"If corporal punishment were still allowed, much of these problems wouldn't exist."

Could not agree more. Since it does not those kids know it and as a result here come the police, and they in turn overstep, go to far, overreach, or whatever you want to call it. If I had done that in school, back in the 80's and in a small town at the time, the teacher would have scooped me up and to the principals office for detention, suspension, or even corporal punishment. Yet you see more and more of this and seems like everyone is sitting there going "What can or should we do." Sad really. What happens if she continues with this attitude? Next time she might get a situation that will be 100 times worse and so will the consequences.

utopic

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
I think the fine was too much. They should have just given her a suspension and/or some other form of reprimand in connection with school activities/system/etc.

Next, they'll call the army for tapping your fingers on the desk...

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Wow, that's not a very small phone so she must either has a big a-hole or have experience sticking stuff back there.

I have to LOL at the South Park level of my reply.

Square_Head

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
"If corporal punishment were still allowed, much of these problems wouldn't exist."

Bingo.

But it goes beyond just teachers having the ability for corporal punishment, it eventually goes back to the home. This little brat was never raised properly. Her parents are probably these new age types that "want to be friends" with their kids. The little girl was and her daddy were being friends.

I can tell you something, my parents are not my friends. They are my parents. I love my parents, and like my parents, but they are not my "friends". My parents deserve a level of respect above what you give to friends. You can tell your friends to F*** off, I wouldn't dare tell my parents anything like that.

aceprowler

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Teachers cannot touch kids anymore because of idiot parents! Like some of those who have already commented on this article. Sue? This country is nothing but Sue happy. poor me! I am a bum and need money. SUE.. What a moron. Kids are nothing but mouthy brats anymore and I give all teacher's props for dealing with todays spoiled youths.

G

@seboj The whole reason the police had to be called in the first place is because teachers and schools can't do anything because of all the sue happy idiots out there. If our society would stop suing for the smallest idiotic reasons, maybe we could actually progress.

wingmaster

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
I don't think you have to give police your phone number, I know its not the same case but just think if everytime they pulled over a pretty woman they demanded her phone number wouldn't be good you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.