GM Recalls 1.3 Million Cars, Bad Steering

Status
Not open for further replies.

yrmoma

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Power steering is a luxury, not a necessity, as the representative stated. That being said, it's still a bad situation. However, I'd have my power steering pump go out every day rather than have the off chance of no brakes and/or a stuck accelerator.

amabhy

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
For a second, I thought I was on autoblog.

Then I realized that toms just doesnt have any good stories anymore.

maydaynomore

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]amabhy[/nom]For a second, I thought I was on autoblog.Then I realized that toms just doesnt have any good stories anymore.[/citation]
For a second, I thought you were an idiot. Then I realized that you are just a moron.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
these vehicles are safe to drive because the customer can still steer the vehicle
included reports of 14 crashes and one injury
It's GM, thus America, as mentioned. these crashes happened because the people could NOT steer the vehicle. (I assume)

It's America I wonder why they could not steer the vehicle---> Go to the gym!

sorry not a nice comment but if you cannot go without power steering you seriously have to go to the gym. If it was an SUV i could understand if you needed power steering, but not from anything smaller.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Use to work a GM dealership, it also applies to the HHR as well. Even thou they didn't state that. It's all the same parts. The power steering will go out on HHR's if you jump start them, blowing the fuse as a result, which is an easy fix, but none the less,just a pain in the ass. Oh the memories of a dealership.

volks1470

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]xbeater[/nom]It's GM, thus America, as mentioned. these crashes happened because the people could NOT steer the vehicle. (I assume)It's America I wonder why they could not steer the vehicle---> Go to the gym!sorry not a nice comment but if you cannot go without power steering you seriously have to go to the gym. If it was an SUV i could understand if you needed power steering, but not from anything smaller.[/citation]

Do realize that a power steering rack has a higher ratio, so there is less number of turns to get to steering lock. The higher the ratio the harder it's going to be without that power. I know i tried (If you can even call it that) steering a 2500HD Silverado, damn near impossible.
I have a manual steering rack in my car, and yes it is easy to steer thanks to a very low gear ratio. Although it sure takes a lot turns to hit the steering lock.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]I find it hard to believe they sold 1.3 million Cobalts, and G5's.[/citation]

Clearly you haven't driven my factory-Supercharged Cobalt SS; makes all kinds of luxury drivers cry.

To be fair though mine is no longer entirely stock and I actually did have the power steering issue, but it got fixed under warranty.

yrmoma

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
[citation][nom]Volks1470[/nom]Do realize that a power steering rack has a higher ratio, so there is less number of turns to get to steering lock. The higher the ratio the harder it's going to be without that power. I know i tried (If you can even call it that) steering a 2500HD Silverado, damn near impossible. I have a manual steering rack in my car, and yes it is easy to steer thanks to a very low gear ratio. Although it sure takes a lot turns to hit the steering lock.[/citation]

But if you read the article, you'd see that this is about Cobalts and G5s. The second smallest cars GM sells. Thanks for playing, you still lost.

smokinu

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
is this something new???? I have had the same prob with my 04 monte and I know every other freaking grand prix of the same year has the familiar sound of the power stearing pump. Maybe ours just sound like crap while the next years actually fails. Nothing new to me however.

blarneypete

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
I wonder if GM will now get grilled by representatives of the owners of Toyota, like Toyota just got grilled by the representatives of the owners of GM. (also known as Congress)

kageryu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Mostly likely these problems were known for years but they are only making recalls now due to pressure from the gov't and the public.

slaphappy

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
Imagine that, a GM car exhibiting identical problems just out of warranty. My 10+ year old acura and honda I used to drive never had a single problem EVER, and I'm sure they drive just as well today with proper care.

mustwarnothers

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Buy American!

I find it absolutely hilarious that the same greedy American car companies, which have been raping the consumer with their ugly, monstrous, gas guzzling SUV's and Trucks (which cost a marginal amount more to produce, yet they charge a large percentage more) for the past 4 or 5 years, get bailed out by the american taxpayers then switch their lineup to match all the well selling foreign cars.

Now they've got problems since they probably had to rush new design ideas out the door as fast as possible when the greed train came to a crashing halt (pun definitely intended).

I like being an American, and having the freedoms that I do, but to blindly wave the American flag behind such a shitstorm of greed and irresponsibility makes me sad to be grouped in with such ignorance at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.